Speedometer reprogramming options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer reprogramming options?

TrackAire

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
On a 1993 Explorer 4x4, if I need to change the speedometer to read correctly for new tires and gears is there a preferred method? I'm not familiar if this truck just needs to have the gears changed in the speedo cable at the transmission or if it can be done electronically. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a start.

I searched this sub forum for "speedometer tires" and there were several threads

You will be changing the speedometer drive gear on the end of the speedometer cable at the vss sensor it is mounted in the tailhousing of the transfer case or transmission

Ok, I thought it was an old fashioned gear driven system but then I made the mistake of looking at JET Performance Chips and they have a Accu Speed listed for my truck....obviously that's wrong.

well yes it is wrong....but
they do sell it for your model
The VSS sensor has a cable for the dash speedometer but it also contains the electric VSS sensor for the pcm, cruise control and 4x4 ESOF

I do not know why you would need to calibrate the signal further then the driven gear change....but simply because it still uses a vss it is likely they offer the product.

in 1996 the cable went away entirely

Back