• Register Today It's free!

splines on front 4x4 shafts

wildstang

Reaction score
City, State
Orange, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 and 96 explorers
Does any one know what the splines on the front 4x4 shafts are for an explorer? I want to change the gearing in my 92 ranger 4.0 and was thinking that I might be able to find a pumpkin from an explorer or ranger if they can be interchanged between the two. Are the shafts longer on the explorer? I think I have heard that the explorer is 3 inches wider then the ranger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a lot depends on which front end your Ranger is equipped with. All Explorers (through '94) came with a Dana 35 TTB front end. I think your Ranger will also have a Dana 35 TTB, but there are some Rangers with a so called D35/D28 hybrid front axle. If you can verify that your Ranger has a D35 TTB, then any part from an Explorer TTB front should interchange. The tech library at therangerstation.com seems to have some good information.

Thanks guys, I was hoping that was the case. Mr. Shorty, is there an easy way to tell if it is the regular 35 or the 28/35 hybrid? Thanks agian.

MrShorty said:
The tech library at therangerstation.com seems to have some good information.
Including BOM numbers, applications installed in, and how to identify regular D35 and the hybrid. It's been a while since I read it, but I know the information is there.

Thanks again Mr. Shorty, I went and read it, a lot of great info there.

If you or anyone else can confirm, will a 97 4x4 explorer gears, front and rear, fit into my 92 4.0 4x4 ranger front and rear housings? I am pretty sure they will from the info on rangerstation, but just want to be possitive. Thanks again.

No. I had assumed that the Explorer in question was a 1st gen ('91-'94) with a D35 TTB. '95+ Explorers came with a D35 SLA front end. The D35 SLA uses normal cut R&P, the D35 TTB uses reverse cut gears. The gears aren't interchangeable. for what you want, you need to find something with a D35 TTB ('91-'94 Explorer, '91-'97 Ranger).

ASsuming your Ranger has a Ford 8.8 inch rear (I'm pretty sure all 4.0 Rangers did), then the gears from the '97 rear should fit into your Ranger.
If you're interested in a little bit bigger project, many, rather than just swap gears, will swap the entire '97 axle in to get the disc brakes.

At first I was talking about the 1st generation explorer but found a 97 5.0 in the junk yard with traction lock3.73. We also have a 96 5.0 so I was thinking if the gear, front and rear, would swap over I could maybe convince my wife to let me buy it and then have a part rig or maybe use the efi on my someday to be completed 65 mustang.

I was having a brain fart also, I can't use the explorer traction lock unit in my ranger unless I change to 31 spline axels and I am not doing that, unless someone had a pair for sale cheap.

Back