split second ABS feel in pedal when applying brake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

split second ABS feel in pedal when applying brake

bradenjenkins

Reaction score
City, State
TRUMBULL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer sport
under normal braking, as soon as i put my foot on the brake pedal, the abs sensation happens for less than a second. the abs isnt applied to the brakes, but just the feel comes through the pedal. no change in the brake feel or power. this is the only time it ever happens. we havent had a panic stop ever, and it started happening out of the blue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

under normal braking, as soon as i put my foot on the brake pedal, the abs sensation happens for less than a second. the abs isnt applied to the brakes, but just the feel comes through the pedal. no change in the brake feel or power. this is the only time it ever happens. we havent had a panic stop ever, and it started happening out of the blue.
What is the abs feeling? Are you getting a vibration? How do you know if the abs is being applied or not? Details would help clarify.

What is the abs feeling? Are you getting a vibration? How do you know if the abs is being applied or not? Details would help clarify.
a slight vibration just like when abs would normally be applied. abs is not being applied, due to normal braking after strange feeling. abs "sensation" lasts less than half a second

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not sure how the ABS sensation described below can be felt in less than a second but it isn't normal.
"When ABS is working properly, the driver may feel the brake pedal suddenly drop, followed by a rapid pulsing sensation. There may be a grinding or buzzing noise coming from the vehicle during the period ABS is activated. It may also feel like the brake pedal is pushing back when ABS activates".
Are you sure it isn't a possible issue with the brakes themselves?

Peter

a slight vibration just like when abs would normally be applied. abs is not being applied, due to normal braking after strange feeling. abs "sensation" lasts less than half a second
Guess I don't have abs go on much. Rotors warped?

Start by checking your brake fluid level and condition of the pads and rotors. How long since your brakes were fully serviced? Might be caliper slide pins sticking, or rusted up slide rails.

Normally "warp", being more commonly hard spots on the rotor, is most apparent at low speeds as you come to a stop, and doesn't start at beginning of brake pedal travel but stop as you continue to apply brakes, so besides the things mentioned above, next I'd wonder if you had air in the lines and bleed them.

Back