• Register Today It's free!

Brake pedal pulsating

umtigers

Reaction score
City, State
Anytown
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 EB
I recently had the front rotors and brake pads replaced on a 1995 Explorer 2WD. Ever since this repair, I can feel the brake pedal pulsating when applying the brakes. I know the pedal will pulsate when braking hard as the ABS activates but the sensation I am feeling occurs when gently braking. Any thoughts as to what this may be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If if feels like ABS is comming on remove the ABS fuse and ABS will be deactivated (completely fine to do this as it only prevents ABS from coming on and doesn't affect normal breaking). Now drive it around and see if the same noise & feeling is present, if not the shop screwed something up in your ABS system...

I had this problem awhile back. Do a search on the forums. It turned out that rust around my abs sensors was sending a negitive signals to the sensors causeing them to ingauge. My trusted Mechanic shaved the rust around the sensors and the problem went away. I can garuntee if you go to a stealership they will probably try and sell you new sensors and the whole sha bang.

That sounds like warped rotors to me. Perhaps the repair was not done correctly, or else your rear pads/rotors may need resurfacing or replacing.

The front rotors are easly warped by over tightning the lug nuts...

jayhawkexplorer said:
That sounds like warped rotors to me. Perhaps the repair was not done correctly, or else your rear pads/rotors may need resurfacing or replacing.
Agreed! I had brake work done before, and had the same pulsating problem...it was warped rotors, even though they were brand new. It can happen. Try the ABS theory first and pull the fuse, as that would be the test to see if it's the ABS system or not, if you still feel the pulsating after the ABS fuse is pulled, it's your rotors that are warped. Take it back, and have them lightly shaved.

VOATMJ1 said:
Agreed! I had brake work done before, and had the same pulsating problem...it was warped rotors, even though they were brand new. It can happen. Try the ABS theory first and pull the fuse, as that would be the test to see if it's the ABS system or not, if you still feel the pulsating after the ABS fuse is pulled, it's your rotors that are warped. Take it back, and have them lightly shaved.

If you bought them and did the job yourself, get a brand new pair under warranty from the store. I'd ask for the same thing from the shop that put them on, if you didn't do it yourself. Make sure the lugs haven't been stripped too.

Back