sport trac 5r55e to manual trans swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sport trac 5r55e to manual trans swap

lifttruck2008

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
So I was just wondering some questions on the subject. I have a 2001 2x4 sport trac with the 5r55e. excellent running shape, im the original owner, its paid off.

Now was there a manual offered in the 2001-2005 sport trac? I can get ahold of the manual trans M5OD-R1 offered in the explorer fairly cheap. but along with that what else is needed?

Will it run with auto ecm, i am asumming that it will just throw codes, which if i can get it registered at my parents in michigan, than i would not worry about passing emissions. If i did swap in a manual ecm would i need the key reprogrammed?

Next on the list is the starter, is the manual and auto starter the same?

As far a the clutch assembly (pedal, reservoir) I would imagine that I can get these out of a manual explorer.

Finally will i need a new driveshaft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also going to be doing the Manual swap this winter. So far as I understand it it is best to find a donor rig for everything you will need.

Need:
M5OD-R1 4x4 version
1354 Manual T-case
4x4 manual module from donor rig
Manual starter from donor rig
Pedals
Resevoir
Hydraulic line & slave cylinder
New clutch pad (good time to change it)
New throw out bearing ^^^^^^^^^^
Ecm harness from donor
Front drive shaft from donor
Steering column from donor
If you have full console, need to loose that, or chop it so the shifter can be installed.

I am going to take my time on this mod, like most of the winter..lol

i like you would also like to do a 4x4 swap, but i would also do a sas. i on the other hand do not have room for a donor vehicle. So ideally if i could do the manual swap first, then cut off the off the ifs and do the sas. drive it with sas and no tcase for a while and add a tcase and drive shafts. i am not a big fan of motor shifted 4wd, so i would see what manual tcase i could use and then again i would not need the 4wd computer.

i am not a big fan of motor shifted 4wd, so i would see what manual tcase i could use and then again i would not need the 4wd computer.

Without the Manual ECM or module you will throw all kinds of codes. The CEL would be on constantly. Some ignor the CEL and put black electrical tape over it.

No sense in going Manual if you don't go all the way! Better T-case than the 1354 is the Atlas, but at a price tag of $2500 and up, that's a little too steep for me.

by manual t case i meant one with no electrical connection, i have an older toyota 4x4 and it has nothing electrical on the tcase, no lights come on the dash to in indicate the range either. If i was to throw in a true manual shifted tcase i don't think i would get any codes if i had swapped in a manual trans. If i was to stay with the auto then i might run into some problems with the comp confused about commanded gear and rpm, when i was in 4low but i doubt 2hi and 4hi as the rpm in each commanded gear would be pretty close. If i left the speed sensor on the trans and not moved it to the tcase if thats possible. But like i said i am just trying to find things out about the 4x4 sas auto swap vs 4x4 sas man swap.

I have an 02 ST and its a 5 speed.

Yep, 5 speed and 4x4

anyone know if the ex and st ecm are the same? If the st manual are super rare i bet it would be easier to get a ex ecm.

Back