Sport Trac. Help with mileage & performance. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac. Help with mileage & performance.

remitguy

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport trac Adrenalin
Hello everyone,

Finally got me one I could afford. 2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin with less that 22K original miles. I am very disappointed in the 16 MPG on the highway with the cruise control set at 65 MPH. Any opinion on these possible mods?

-Replace the rear gear ration from the current 4:10 witha 3:73 or something.

-Get a new Power chip , something like the SLR MotorSport chip. http://www.slrmotorsports.com/?gclid=CNu0otTXhpgCFRKIxwodiknCkA

-Get a hard cover Tonneu for the back bed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. Whats your tire pressure, size, and type? Before I swapped gears I'd try a larger touring tire. I wouldn't waste my money one a $60 chip that claims a 50 hp increase, and 3-6 mpg. If there were such a thing it would have came stock. Spent the money on a free flowing air filter. I'm not sure if a bed cover would show a large increase as well since the bed is so short. Try running tailgate down for a tank or 2 and see if there is a difference. If there is a bed cover would help more.

Thanks. after loking around this forum I see there are some folks who are getting 20 MPG onthe highway. So there should be some hope for me.

Remitguy

Hello everyone,

Finally got me one I could afford. 2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin with less that 22K original miles. I am very disappointed in the 16 MPG on the highway with the cruise control set at 65 MPH. Any opinion on these possible mods?

Take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44372&highlight=quest

-Get a new Power chip , something like the SLR MotorSport chip. http://www.slrmotorsports.com/?gclid=CNu0otTXhpgCFRKIxwodiknCkA

Don't waste you money on that kind of product.

Take a look at the XCal3 from SCT. ( http://www.sctflash.com/ )

welcome and u got pics of ur sport trac

Spending money to re-gear for an extra mile per gallon just doesn't make any sense. Think of how much extra gas you could buy for that kind of money, and how long it would take you to re-coupe the money getting an extra 1 mpg (if it does!). I've driven sport trac's that came with 3.73's and they are a dog, I would imagine it would have to work harder and almost make mileage worse.
I bought a used fiberglass bed cover for my sport trac, but I can't comment on mileage as it was lifted, geared with 33's and a roof rack. I couldn't do better than 14mpg with it.
That chip is a joke. James at henson performance can help you a bit by writing tunes with an xcal3, which will also improve shifting. But the economy tunes probably won't net you any performance, and the performance tunes probably won't net you any mileage increase.

Some people do claim relatively good mileage from their Explorers, but the 16mpg you state is not that uncommon. A lot of Explorer/Ranger owners complain about it because you have a small truck, small engine, with full size gas mileage. Same story with me and I've had 2 explorers and a ranger. Best I saw was 18mpg with the sport trac on the freeway when it was stock.

i get a consistant 20+ mpg in my trac

watch your foot and change up ur driving style a little, makes a big diff.

also, SCT programmers are definately worth the money, i have one and use a 93 performance tune and can get about 450 miles to a tank if i drive right...but i love my truck set up...so ive got that 1x

4.10 is a good setup for the trac, its what i have and is great for daily, any higher and u will be destroying ur fuel milage, any lower ull be left at the light and notice ur trac lost some of the little kick it had.

the hard cover adds weight, i have one but its not necessary. trucks are designed now so that air travels over and passed the bed more efficiently.

Try switching to full synthetics, i rec. royal purple or mobil 1 products.

exhaust and cold air, help the truck breathe.

flush the motor, or do a seafoam cleaning... see if that helps any.

Is your truck 4x4 or 4x2? A 4x4 will always get worse gas mileage than a 4x2.

Try running tailgate down for a tank or 2 and see if there is a difference. If there is a bed cover would help more.

Mythbusters proved that running your tailgate up causes a air cyclone thing in your bed giving you less resistance. Not sure on the technicallities but they say with tailgate up you get more mpg.

:thumbsup:I have a soft cover, less weight and better aerodynamics helps.
:thumbsup:Sport tracs HATE fast take offs, our motor is underpowered for the weight, so that drops your mileage alot.
:thumbsup:Try using your cruise control anywere you can use it.
:thumbsup:Always keep your tank full, or above a 1/2 tank. I get around 15-18mpg.
:thumbsup:On hot days fill up in the morning when its the coldest.

YEs. and no. From what my dad told me along time ago, it has something to do with pressure in the tank, flow rate, I dont really remeber. but he always said to do that. not sure if it works or not.

What is the No answer for? I don't think a modern cars gas tank fullness would affect the MPG. I also don't think the days temp would matter more than a tiny fraction since the tanks are so far in the ground they probably have a consistent temp.

My old '05 Trac had 3.73's with 32" tires and I didn't get any better mileage than anyone with 4.10's. 16 mpg highway is not out of the realm of possibility if it is hilly where you live. All-season tires will get better mileage than all-terrains or mud-terrains.
They're only rated for 18 or 19 highway anyway.
Best I can tell you is to get new plugs even though it doesn't have a lot of miles (Motorcraft or Autolite, not that Bosch crap), have the dealer run a scan, new filters, and synthetic fluids everywhere including axles and transfer case.
For mods, just an exhaust (Gibson makes a nice one that slides right on), XCal2 or 3, and a cold air. That will give you a slight improvement but there is nothing that will make a big difference. I know of a few people who have installed the JBA headers but all claim they didn't make much if any difference simply because the stock exhaust manifolds aren't bad to begin with.
My '08 is EPA rated at 19 highway but it has a Gibson exhaust and a K&N drop-in. When I was in FL where everything is flat I got 22-23 on highway trips but back home in PA with all the hills I get 18 if I'm lucky.

What is the No answer for? I don't think a modern cars gas tank fullness would affect the MPG. I also don't think the days temp would matter more than a tiny fraction since the tanks are so far in the ground they probably have a consistent temp.

Well I dont know if there is any proof around them, just some things a wise old man told me. :salute:

Thanks. you suggestion seem to about the best. I will be folowing them and addiing a hard Tonneau cover. Any suggestions for the Tonneau?

Thanks. you suggestion seem to about the best. I will be folowing them and addiing a hard Tonneau cover. Any suggestions for the Tonneau?

i use an ARE cover
pain in but if u haul alot... but looks good

i wish i would have gotten the one that folds in half from the factory....

I love my soft cover. So EASY to take off and put on. I can do it myself. It doesnt have the old fashioned button attachments. This locks down like the hard ones, but a fraction of the weight.

I have the factory folding one. Got it for free off a used trac at the dealership I work at. Just FYI, there is a sticker on it stating it weighs 75lbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back