• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac with Lift Spindles

shooterdude199

Reaction score
City, State
Irmo, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
So i know the stickied page says that fabtechs lift spindles will work on a sport trac. but even in their instructions they say they only fit trucks with 11.25" rotors. As far as i know and what ive looked at and observed on my own truck i have 12" rotors. Has anyone installed these on their sport trac? Does anyone know why 12" rotors won't work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can at least tell you why the 12" diameter rotors won't work; The outer edge of the 12" rotors will impact/grind inside the caliper between the two brake pads. The lift spindles are designed so that the caliper is bolted just far enough away from the hub so that it wraps around the edge of an 11.25" rotor. I'm assuming your ST is 2WD, you'll need a couple 96-01 Explorer/ 98-up Ranger front 11.25" rotors to replace your 12" rotors when you put the lift spindles on, it should be just that simple.

However, I'd call a dealer and double check to make sure you don't have 11.25" front rotors first.

nope, the calipers are the same. The ST just has them move out a little further to accommodate the larger diameter rotor.

So all I'd have to do really is ask for a standard 11.25" rotor for an explorer or ranger and grab a set of lift spindles and install with no problems at all?

yes, precisely.

However, I would still double check juuuuuust to make sure you don't already have 11.25" rotors on your SportTrac. I've heard some 1st Gen ST's have the 11.25" rotors, and that they may have upgraded to the larger diameter rotor later on.. however I can't verify that. In that case it you wouldn't need to buy new rotors, just spindles.

This may sound dumb but ive never had to contact Ford directly. Do I call the local dealership or what?

shooter, did you ever get around to doing this, or were the coilovers your alternative?

Nahhhh I actually wanted to get the spindles to get more "useable " suspension travel from the coilovers and make the truck taller at the same time

If you don't already have 11.25" rotors just go to Napa or Auto zone and grab a pair. Then everything will bolt together no problem.

In 2001 there were 2 different calipers used on the 4dr EX. One with steel pistons and one with Phenolic pistons. The Sport/Sport Trac used only the Phenolic piston. So yes the same caliper that was on the Sport Trac was on the 4DR. You can confirm this buy going to your favorite online parts store and comparing the front brake pad part numbers.

i found on jegs that the 05 ranger has the same pads as the sport trac. unless they upgraded the brakes on the ranger....(which i doubt) then i guess they can work. i just wish i could see a truck done with this to see that it will work for sure.

Calipers are the same. The only reason the spindle is different is because the rotor is larger in DIA so the mounting point for the caliper bracket is in a slightly different location. I also learned the same thing back in 2000 when I tried to put my 2000 ranger lift spindles on my 01, haha

Helpful info for spindle lift

So for anyone that is thinking of doing the spindle lift on a sport trac and are really confused on what youll need, here is a list of the items and some pointers. I just got done putting a 02 ranger edge spindle lift on my 04 sport trac. You will need the 2 spindles, a ranger edge rotor assembly ($120 for both at napa. Make sure they are the ll.25" rotors), and you will need to extend your brake lines, unless you wanna chance it and have the brake line tear while your offroading (not worth it). There is a website called prerunnermaniac.com and i followed his instructions pretty much. I will say that you might need a camber kit for the upper control arms. I bought a set because I didnt want to have to quit while I was working to run to napa but you might not need it. That is what the company I bought the spindles from told me. The camber kits were $60 total. I have yet to get the new brake lines made up because I just finished last night. It took me about 12 hours to do it all.

So as for actually doing it according to prerunnermaniac.com, they have it pretty down. Some pointers would be if you dont have a cut off wheel to cut the lower a arm then use a sawzall and be careful. You can ruin your lower ball joint if you get carried away. When you think your done grinding put the spindle on and check to make sure your not hitting anywhere. Turn your wheels so they go as far as you can and make sure its all good. This is important so you dont get it all together and realize that you can make a U turn. You will have to rig up a new steering top, because you have to cut your old one off. Also put the caliper on and make sure thats not hitting anything.

If you install the camber kit its just a b#$%@. Theres no way around it. Its tight work place to try and get regular wrenches in. Im sure there are special wrenches that bend to make it easier but I didnt have those so I made do.

When you get the rotor assembly you will have to use your old wheel bearings and the grease seal on the back of the rotor. Be careful not to ruin the and the put them in your new rotor with plenty of grease. Make sure its high temp bearing grease.

The spindels that I got actaully kicked my wheels out maybe a good inch or so. It looks good and is nice because the geometry of the suspension doesnt change. You are simply mounting the wheel lower on the spindle. You dont need new shocks but it doesnt hurt. This is also a good time to replace ball joints if you want. Its not necessary but you can. I didnt cuz mine look fine. Just be careful!!!

Also If you have someone there to help you that is somewhat mechanically inclined its nice. I had a friend help me for about the first 4 hours but he had to go to work and I realized how much help he really was. :/

Now I am not a mechanic and everything that I have learned about my truck has been because I took it apart and hoped for the best as I was putting it back together. I also have a friend that has been a mechanic for years so I kinda cheat. I took my truck for a test drive around the block to make sure that everthing was fine but with the brake lines kinda taunt I didnt want to rip the line so I havnt been more then a mile. You can have a new set made and I would say 4 inches longer would do.

If there is anything that I have missed or if anyone has anything to say please do. I know I searched this topic for months before I just bit the bullet and went for it. I also messaged about everyone that I could that commented on this project and thanks to you for any information that you ahve givern me.

Back