• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky sound when started...

jordan23

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4x4
Hi all! I have a 2001 Sport that sounds like a bunch of bats when I start her up in the cool Wisconsin air. It seems to go away after warming up some though. It sounds to ME like a pulley or something attached to the serpentine. My question is: Can these parts be oiled/lubricated?

Thanks!

Jordan23

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems to be associated with the main belt 'somewhere' but I don't know which assembly is the culprit.

jordan

I have this same problem on my 2001 xsport, it drives me up the wall... Its kind of like nails on a chalkboard.... I think the idler or tensioner bearing is going because of the spring that tensions the belt sometimes does not fully function properly. I'm going to be checking it out soon. I've tried belt dressing and the bucket of water trick, but nothing has helped.

Can this just be lubricated--or must the tensioner be replaced?

Thanks!

jordan23

dump a bunch of wd40 on it till it doesn't make noise then spray beldressing on the belt so it doesn't slip...

i sprayed wd40 on the idler and it seems to have stopped squeaking, I'll see how long it lasts... Thanks

jordan23 said:
Hi all! I have a 2001 Sport that sounds like a bunch of bats when I start her up in the cool Wisconsin air. It seems to go away after warming up some though. It sounds to ME like a pulley or something attached to the serpentine. My question is: Can these parts be oiled/lubricated?

Thanks!

Jordan23

Remarkable! I've noticed the same thing on my 2001 X Sport too! In fact, today it seemed a little more noticeable! Perhaps a spray is in order.

Back