squealing/squeaking front end on 98 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

squealing/squeaking front end on 98 4x4

dkdoo

Reaction score
I have an annoying squeaking sound that I hear when it is cold outside and I'm going 0-25 mph(probably still occurs when I'm going faster I just can't hear it.) From what I've read on the forum...it seems to be the hub assembly or the dust seals. Any sugesstions or first hand experience with this???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not had the problem with the squeaking, but the dust seals would not surprise me. When I replaced my ball joints, we discovered that the dust seals had completely dry-rotted and the plastic rings were just hanging around the CV axle. Apparently, they weren't designed very well.

About your squeaking, is it a constant thing, or is it something you hear when you go over bumps, etc?

Its something that I hear constantly, especially when it is cold out. Do you have a procedure to replace the dust seals?

Mine did it. Ford replaced under warranty ages ago. Happened before I hit 36K. Not sure if anyone has tried replacing themselves...

I don't remember much about it, but I do remember removing the hanging rings at least. I didn't replace the seals because we didn't have them in hand and it was late and I needed my car to be driveable the next day. Since I was replacing the ball joints, I had the entire spindle off anyway. I would bet that you would need to remove the spindle, pry out the old dust seals, and press in the new ones. Maybe there is someone on here who has actually done it and knows an exact procedure.

Back