LOUD Squealing/Squeaking from wheels ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LOUD Squealing/Squeaking from wheels ?

NSGF

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT
Hey everyone,

I have a 2007 XLT with 44,000 miles on it.

About 2-3 months ago, this bad squeaking/squealing started up while driving down the road. It only happened every 3-4 weeks and now lately it has been happening every 1-2 days.

It's getting very annoying and everything else about the truck is perfect so it really ruins the whole feel.

Anyway, here's some info about the problem:

-happens every 1-2 days at all speeds

-gets VERY loud

-squeak/squeal gets faster as I accelerate

-completely goes away when I brake HARD. Moderate pressure helps it a little bit but If I slam on the brakes, sometimes getting the ABS on, the squeak/squeal will go away for another day or so.

(it gets annoying to have to pull into some random neighborhood and slam on the brakes all the time)

- Does not get quieter or louder when I turn

-Brakes seem quite rusty from outside glance (rotors, calipers, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you guys can give me :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were my truck, I would take off the wheels and take a look at the brakes.

If it were my truck, I would take off the wheels and take a look at the brakes.

Thanks for the reply, edwx.

If I do take off the wheels to look at the brakes, what specifically am I looking for?

Check the brake pads.

Check the brake pads.

thanks for the reply tmike.

The pads aren't that old and at first I thought it was the brake pad wear indicator but if it was that, wouldn't it be squealing when braking, not when driving?

I'll check the pads anyway. Might as well.

Any other advice appreciated!

check the brake clips, not just the pads, also the splash sheilds. but it sounds like the brake clips.

My '06 XLS only had 33k miles on it and one of the caliper pins was totally seized.

So yes, just look at everything like you were going to replace the pads and rotors, and see how it goes.

It might be as simple as a little of the blue grease needed on the back of the pads.

My '06 XLS only had 33k miles on it and one of the caliper pins was totally seized.

So yes, just look at everything like you were going to replace the pads and rotors, and see how it goes.

It might be as simple as a little of the blue grease needed on the back of the pads.

I'm gonna replace the pads and rotors since the rotors are just about gone at 45,000.

I'll update if it works or not.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back