Squirrel ate my wiring .. Two Red/Yellow stripe wires on one plug.. need help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squirrel ate my wiring .. Two Red/Yellow stripe wires on one plug.. need help!

Bipeman

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Callsign
KS5O
2005 XLS V6 Auto. Squirrel chewed up two of my wiring harnesses on the right side, top of fender. The little ******* chewed the harnesses off right at the connectors leaving a quarter inch or less to solder onto.

The connector in question has seven wires with a Red/Yellow above a Black with both having heavier male pins.
Among the other pins is a White/Light Blue with the same heavier pin, and then a Violet/White, White/Black, Black/White, and another Red/Yellow.

I have bought the wiring diagrams in PDF (happy to share) and after a great amount of time spent looking at them I can only find Red/Yellows for the CAN- connections and one that looks like it goes to the A/C over-pressure switch.

So can't figure out which Red/Yellow goes where..

Thanks for your time.. all help will be greatly appreciated!!

Found this pic posted on the forums by another user.. same connector I am dealing with.

SQ1.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang that stinks!

I don’t have the 05 wiring book but I can tell you red/yellow is used for the ac pressure switches it often goes through the low pressure switch and on over to the high pressure switch staying red/yellow the whole time

You can take that connector apart and “un pin”
It which will give you more wire to work with

Dang that stinks!

I don’t have the 05 wiring book but I can tell you red/yellow is used for the ac pressure switches it often goes through the low pressure switch and on over to the high pressure switch staying red/yellow the whole time

You can take that connector apart and “un pin”
It which will give you more wire to work with
Thanks for the info. I will look at taking the connector apart. So right now my plane is to find out which Red/Yellow goes to the A/C pressure switch and which Red Yellow on the good side of the connector goes to pin 3 on the PCM.

Was hoping someone would tell me that all Red/Yellow wires are CAN Bus- :)

Use multimeter and check continuity should be pretty quick and simple!

Have you identified the plug on your wiring book? It should list the color and circuit number in association with the corresponding pin

To take the plug apart remove the red keeper and then you can pull up each locking pin and remove the wire

Have you identified the plug on your wiring book? It should list the color and circuit number in association with the corresponding pin

To take the plug apart remove the red keeper and then you can pull up each locking pin and remove the wire
I don't have the wiring book, just the full schematic I downloaded, so I don't have any info on the pin-outs on the connector. That would be very handy.

I have about a quarter inch of wire(s) left on the back of the plug so I should be OK. I'm a little reluctant to disassemble the plug. The red part inside (this is male) doesn't seem to have much to grab on to to pull it out.

New Pic for clarity.

I found that neither of the Red/Yellow wires goes to the A/C Over Pressure switch.

Also found no continuity between the two Red/Yellows. Was hoping there would be and that might be attributed to them both being CAN BUS-.
No such luck.

Harness.jpg

For those that may read in the future: The connector in question is C1168 in the Ford Wiring Diagram book. Both Red/Yellow wires are shown on the same circuit - 391. This is the CAN Bus negative. These particular ones go to the oxygen sensors but that really does not matter. At this point two squirrels have passed away. More will meet them in squirrel heaven. All is well with the truck.

Back