Stalling again.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling again....

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
Was slowing down at a yield sign to turn right, the steering went numb, heard a "beep", and see that the engine died. Put it into neutral, starts up fine.

I had it stall out on me on the freeway 2-3 months ago. Now it happened again.

1.) New battery in December - had it retested at firestone. Its fine
2.) Alternator was replaced in 2007. Again, firestone didn't say anything.
3.) Cleaned MAF sensor (the one connected to the air intake). I think its the MAF, maybe MAS.
No other issues with idling at stop signs. It is not the smoothest idle I have ever had in a car, but its not bucking or racing.

I see a couple potential issues from research that could be occuring:

-IAC is shot
-Vacuum leak somewhere

I went to Advance Auto parts and no codes were in the system.

There is TSB for this and it notes: "If the engine stalled while the vehicle was in gear and moving, the possibility of the IAC valve causing this is unlikely unless it occured upon deceleration." TSB 03-3-5

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was slowing down at a yield sign to turn right, the steering went numb, heard a "beep", and see that the engine died. Put it into neutral, starts up fine.

I had it stall out on me on the freeway 2-3 months ago. Now it happened again.

1.) New battery in December - had it retested at firestone. Its fine
2.) Alternator was replaced in 2007. Again, firestone didn't say anything.
3.) Cleaned MAF sensor (the one connected to the air intake). I think its the MAF, maybe MAS.
No other issues with idling at stop signs. It is not the smoothest idle I have ever had in a car, but its not bucking or racing.

I see a couple potential issues from research that could be occuring:

-IAC is shot
-Vacuum leak somewhere

I went to Advance Auto parts and no codes were in the system.

There is TSB for this and it notes: "If the engine stalled while the vehicle was in gear and moving, the possibility of the IAC valve causing this is unlikely unless it occured upon deceleration." TSB 03-3-5

Any thoughts?
Hi. I hope you are doing well! I have just purchased an Explorer which stalled on us while riding down the road. It has been at the shop for days now and they can find nothing wrong with it either. Did you ever find our what was going on? Thanks!

Stalling too.

Hi. I hope you are doing well! I have just purchased an Explorer which stalled on us while riding down the road. It has been at the shop for days now and they can find nothing wrong with it either. Did you ever find our what was going on? Thanks!

My 2003 Explorer Limited has similar symptoms. When stopping at a drive thru bank or restraunt, it will surge and/or stall while idling. I have 'seafoamed' it twice and no luck. Anyone know if there is a diagram on this forum for location of the IAC valve?

Thanks

probably the tdc crank sensor on top side of the harmonic balancer. loosing the tdc position wil cause loss of spark and stall, and sporadic long crank starts.

or glitchy inertia switch. have a good look at it.

Back