Stalling at 1/4 Tank - SOLVED! (How I Fixed It.) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling at 1/4 Tank - SOLVED! (How I Fixed It.)

mlochala

Reaction score
City, State
Amory, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
When my wife and I purchased her '98 Mountaineer a long, long time ago, it didn't take long to learn that when it was low on gas (less than 1/4 tank), it didn't take much of an downhill incline to starve the engine of fuel. I just accepted it as a characteristic of the vehicle and decided to live with it cautiously.

However, recently I replaced the fuel pump and what used to just be a minor annoyance quickly became a real safety hazard. After replacing the fuel pump, the vehicle began starving for fuel as soon as the fuel gauge read 1/4 tank. When the fuel got to that level, the Mountaineer would begin stalling and even completely dying when stopping at an intersection or on a downhill incline. There was never a warning light indicating that the fuel level was too low.

One day, while stopping to check our mail, it died while sitting in our driveway with just over 1/4 tank of gas in it. The driveway has a very slight incline.

Where this problem started was when I replaced the original fuel pump back in September. I purchased an Airtex fuel pump and strainer from Autozone as a replacement for the OEM units. I also replaced the fuel filter.

I had zero problems installing the new pump, save for a few frustrations with the snap locks on the Ford fuel lines. I cut those out and replaced them with some good quality high pressure rubber lines. Everything should have worked perfectly but the problems began immediately after.

Since then, I've removed the tank several times to locate the problem. I looked for damaged or pinched fuel lines. I replaced and repositioned the strainer. I won't go into all the boring details, but after exhausting everything I could think of, it dawned on me that perhaps the pump wasn't low enough in the tank. When I originally installed the new unit, I was in a hurry and didn't take time to study the original pump and how it was mounted. I just assumed the new one would install just the same.

This past week, I once again (6th time) removed the tank and fuel pump assembly. After taking some careful measurements, I discovered the fuel pump intake was almost 3/4" from the bottom of the tank. Not only that, but there was no way to install the fuel pump without the strainer bunching up against the side of the inner tank reservoir. With the way the fuel pump bracket is made, there is no way to adjust the depth of the fuel pump nor adjust the direction of the strainer. I also noticed that the rubber boot that came with the new pump was enlarged and seemed to be interfering with how the strainer was connected to the fuel pump.

So, here is what I did. I removed the fuel pump from the assembly and then very carefully cut off the foot of the fuel pump bracket with a chop saw. Then, I also very carefully shaved off the tabs where the clamp mounts to secure the fuel pump. Once this was done and I had smoothed all the cut edges, I replaced the fuel pump and secured it loosely with a standard metal hose clamp. I replaced the short length of rubber fuel line on the assembly with one that was about 5/8" longer. I also slightly trimmed the rubber boot where the strainer attaches to the fuel pump so that it could not cause any interference.

I then measured and trial fitted the new pump depth until it could reach the bottom of the tank with the strainer laying flat on the bottom. Also, with the bracket foot removed, I could now turn the pump so that the strainer would not be crammed against the side wall of the reservoir. Now, it faces just slightly more toward the front of the vehicle.

As for the results of my efforts, I can now safely say I have finally resolved the issue. Immediately after replacing everything and putting just enough gas back into the tank to put it at about 1/4 tank, I took it for a drive. It immediately cranked up fine and has not stalled since. As a matter of fact, we put about 60 miles on it AFTER it dropped below the 1/4 tank line. I drove it until the fuel level indicator was below the "E" mark before putting any more gas into it. It never stalled nor stuttered one time, and has not since then.

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to share this in case anyone else out there is having similar issues. I know I have read here and there about others having issues with their Mountaineers/Explorers being sensitive to low fuel levels. Perhaps this might also be a solution that will also work for them.

Have a great day!

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Nice detective skills on working this problem out...:biggthump

Going on two weeks and still no stalls! Yay me!!!! LOL!

Sorry, but it is just such a relief to not have to worry about this anymore.

Nice work, I would have never thought that would have been the issue. If I face down hill with a 1/4 tank or less the car will not start. It runs fine though. I have to back into some driveways to prevent no starting issues. I have the original pump not a replacement, so I doubt the same issue is my problem.

Nice work, I would have never thought that would have been the issue. If I face down hill with a 1/4 tank or less the car will not start. It runs fine though. I have to back into some driveways to prevent no starting issues. I have the original pump not a replacement, so I doubt the same issue is my problem.

Even when mine had the original pump, this was still an issue, though not so pronounced. With the original pump, it would stall on a hill with less than 1/4 tank. With the aftermarket, it stalled at 1/4 tank everytime. It would even stall going around left hand turns.

I would guess it's the same thing. That little extra bit of depth makes a huge difference, believe me.

Ford has tsb for revised fuel pump.
Printable View (4 KB)
TSB
99-22-3 NO START - VEHICLE PARKED ON INCLINE WITH VEHICLE NOSE DOWN AND 1/4 TANK OF FUEL

Publication Date: OCTOBER 19, 1999

FORD: 1997-2000 EXPLORER
MERCURY: 1997-2000 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
A no start condition when vehicle is parked on an incline with the vehicle in a nose down position and less than 1/4 tank of fuel may occur. This may be caused by the fuel pump sender assembly not reaching far enough into the front portion of the fuel tank reservoir when the vehicle is parked in this position.

ACTION:
Replace fuel pump/sender assembly with a revised fuel pump/sender assembly. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual, Section 310-01, for removal and installation instructions.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XL2Z-9H307-DA Fuel Pump/Sender Assembly (1999-2000)
F7PZ-9H307-BA Fuel Pump/Sender Assembly (1997-1998)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emission Warranty Coverage For 2000 Model Year Only

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
992203A Replace Fuel Pump 1.3 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
9H307 16

OASIS CODES:
404000, 603300

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1999 Ford Motor Company

Thanks for the info Swetrid! That is exactly my issue.

When I did my fuel pump I found that there was 2 different kinds, a shorter, angles on on the bottom, and a longer flat bottomed one. I had the 21 gallon tank so I needed to use the longer flat bottom one. It is possible that you might have gotten the wrong one?

When I did my fuel pump I found that there was 2 different kinds, a shorter, angles on on the bottom, and a longer flat bottomed one. I had the 21 gallon tank so I needed to use the longer flat bottom one. It is possible that you might have gotten the wrong one?

That is possible, and I did consider that. In fact, when I took the tank back down after the initial install, I returned the pump and strainer for a new one just to make sure I hadn't got a dud.

I knew the strainer I was buying was a little different from the OEM, so I asked about it and they said it was the only one available for that vehicle. I must say that I do believe that part of the problem does lie with the fact that the strainers were a little bit different. However, given the fact that these stalling issues had been around since the vehicle was new, there certainly was an issue with the original design.

But it works now...heheh.

That is possible, and I did consider that. In fact, when I took the tank back down after the initial install, I returned the pump and strainer for a new one just to make sure I hadn't got a dud.

I knew the strainer I was buying was a little different from the OEM, so I asked about it and they said it was the only one available for that vehicle. I must say that I do believe that part of the problem does lie with the fact that the strainers were a little bit different. However, given the fact that these stalling issues had been around since the vehicle was new, there certainly was an issue with the original design.

But it works now...heheh.

This is true, about it being there since new. I know when I was looking for mine, there was so many variations, I had to make sure I got the right one, there was a difference between the US one, the Canada one, the Mexico one, what size tanks, 2 door or 4 door. It was crazy. Thank goodness I live in IL where there are not to many hills, but I never let my tank get below 1/4 tank anyway.

Back