• Register Today It's free!

Stalling issue

nortonme1

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ranger 4x4
I am purchasing a 93 Ranger 4x4 ext. cab. The truck will run great for a little while. Then it will take a fit and just die and won't restart for awhile. Once it does start again it will run great again, till its next fit. The starter and oxygen sensors have been replaced. The fuel pump is working, but we have not checked the filter yet. The last mechanic to work on it says the computer needs to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and possible fixes. Also the engine was replaced with what I was told was a 92 2.9 4 cyl. I had only heard of the 2.9 V6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Sister-in-law (who I am getting the truck from) said they checked and didn't get any codes. Could it be that sensor without the truck actually overheating? The temp guage reads normal whenever it takes it fits.

There's 2 temp sensors, one is for the gauge and the other is for the computer. The 2-wire one below the throttle body is for the computer. Replace it and the IAT sensor (also 2-wire, located higher and reward, in the upper intake plenum). Both are cheap insurance for better fuel economy and reliability.

Definitely do the fuel filter so the new pump doesn't have to work as hard.

Abrupt cut out can also be Crankshaft sensor.

Back