• Register Today It's free!

Standard vs Sport Brakes

unsung43120

Reaction score
City, State
LA, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ltd
I've read somewhere on here a few weeks back someone answering another poster's question on the basis of whether or not that person had sport brakes. I think the person had a limited or XLT.

This prompted me to ask, would getting a certain option (such as factory tow package), result in the factory upgrading a non-Sport's brakes to Sport's brakes on a non-Sport? Such as in the case of the factory adding an engine oil cooler whenever someone gets the tow package. I hope this question makes sense.

Also, can anyone provide step-by-step on upgrading standard brakes to Sport brakes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've read somewhere on here a few weeks back someone answering another poster's question on the basis of whether or not that person had sport brakes. I think the person had a limited or XLT.

This prompted me to ask, would getting a certain option (such as factory tow package), result in the factory upgrading a non-Sport's brakes to Sport's brakes on a non-Sport? Such as in the case of the factory adding an engine oil cooler whenever someone gets the tow package. I hope this question makes sense.

Also, can anyone provide step-by-step on upgrading standard brakes to Sport brakes?
all the Explorers produced after the mid point in the 2013 model year have the same heavy duty brakes.

(invalid link removed)

Peter

Wait a second. Did I read that correctly? My '15 Sport has the same heavy-duty brakes as the Police Interceptor?

Tony

Wait a second. Did I read that correctly? My '15 Sport has the same heavy-duty brakes as the Police Interceptor?

Tony

You read most of it correctly.

All mid-year 2013 and newer Explorers have the same heavy duty brakes that previously were found only on the Sport and Interceptor Utility.

However, it sounds, from reading that, like the pad composition may be a little different on the Interceptor Utility's brakes.

Does 2014 Explorer have H/D brakes? Or is that only on police vehicles

Does anyone know or can anyone confirm the Sport has bigger brakes (calipers) and rotors than tne other models? Does it the sport have the same brakes as the police interceptor?

just curious about performance brake kits and if work it over the sport stock brakes.

Does anyone know or can anyone confirm the Sport has bigger brakes (calipers) and rotors than tne other models? Does it the sport have the same brakes as the police interceptor?

just curious about performance brake kits and if work it over the sport stock brakes.
Your thread was merged with this one that should answer your question. It is also mentioned in other threads that the brakes are all the same post mid 2013 production.

Peter

When the Dealer replaced the pads and turned the rotors on my 2016 ExPlat six months ago, they called me in the afternoon and said they didn't have the regular pads in stock so the car would be ready the next morning. However, if I wanted them to put some performance pads on at no extra cost the car would be ready that day, heck, I told them the performance pads would be great! My WO that should have been $179 for the front brakes was about $215 for adding the 'performance brake pads' then discounted back to $179.

I don't know what Explorer these 'performance pads' are built for but they have been excellent.

When the Dealer replaced the pads and turned the rotors on my 2016 ExPlat six months ago, they called me in the afternoon and said they didn't have the regular pads in stock so the car would be ready the next morning. However, if I wanted them to put some performance pads on at no extra cost the car would be ready that day, heck, I told them the performance pads would be great! My WO that should have been $179 for the front brakes was about $215 for adding the 'performance brake pads' then discounted back to $179.

I don't know what Explorer these 'performance pads' are built for but they have been excellent.

A couple of questions...

How many miles did it take to need a new set of brake pads and a rotor turn? My initial thought is that your Ex is awfully new for needing that service.

Did you notice a significant difference in stopping distance/control? My month-old XLT seem to be pretty adept in the braking department. I'm having a hard time imagining something better.

I thought the only real different in Police utility or Interceptor brakes was the seals in the calipers - silicone vs nitrile rubber - (allows use of dot 4 or 5 brake fluid for the heat)

and the pad compound which you can just easily get by using any other pads.

Otherwise 14-today's are the same rotor diameter, metals, and brake pad areas.

A couple of questions...

How many miles did it take to need a new set of brake pads and a rotor turn? My initial thought is that your Ex is awfully new for needing that service.

Did you notice a significant difference in stopping distance/control? My month-old XLT seem to be pretty adept in the braking department. I'm having a hard time imagining something better.
Yeah, doesn't sound right I admit. I bought this Ex with 6,000 miles on it and the previous owner must have used the brakes pretty hard because the front had a bad vibration, but I bought it anyway. The Tech at the Dealer said the pads were glazed and needed replacement, he was right, that fixed the problem.
I really can't compare a 'before and after' except to say the brakes work very well now. I'll try and remember to ask the Service Advisor about which exact pads were installed when I pick the car up tomorrow from other warranty work.

Picked up my Explorer from the Dealer today and asked the new Service Advisor which brake pads they installed during my brake service last year.

This is the part number: GB5Z2001A

48a915df8c694817b07787255c7aa979.png

Front Pads
Part Number: GB5Z-2001-A
Positions: Front
Other Names: Brake Pads, Kit - Brake Lining
Replaces: BRF-41-, DG1Z-2001-D
Description: MKT. MKS. Heavy duty caliper.
Fits:
  • Ford:
    • Explorer,
    • Flex,
    • Police Interceptor Sedan,
    • Police Interceptor Utility,
    • Special Service Police Sedan,
    • Taurus
  • Lincoln:
    • MKS,
    • MKT

Who makes the heavy duty brakes? A Ford product or some other (Brembo, etc.).

Tony

Who makes the heavy duty brakes? A Ford product or some other (Brembo, etc.).

Tony

as I understand it the rotors are thicker than previous (orginal 2013 brake rotor) and the pads are more aggressive compound but full ceramic not semi-metalic based) and the calipers are bigger (again Orginal 2013 brake caliper) - front and rear.

But I'm not 100% certain on all of that. from 14-forward we all have the same rotors, pad area, and caliper bodies (size) - with the police package cars having different seals in the brake calipers.

as I understand it the rotors are thicker than previous (orginal 2013 brake rotor) and the pads are more aggressive compound but full ceramic not semi-metalic based) and the calipers are bigger (again Orginal 2013 brake caliper) - front and rear.

But I'm not 100% certain on all of that. from 14-forward we all have the same rotors, pad area, and caliper bodies (size) - with the police package cars having different seals in the brake calipers.
OP is asking about the manufacturer of the HD brakes.

All I know is if you go to Summit Racing there are about 4 different rotor sizes to choose from for my 2016..... and you guessed it! I ordered the wrong size.....

I've been trying to figure out what I have for a while. According to the tech on my last visit to the dealer, I have original OEM brakes, but the pads have been changed.

I can't get the 'minor features' section of ETIS to expand, but it's worked in the past and shown standard duty brakes. Build date of 5/16/12.

However...I have ventilated rotors, not the solid ones, on all four wheels. I haven't pulled the wheels to measure, but the rotors look to be around 13" on all four.

When I put my VIN in on Fordparts.com, it shows standard duty rotors.
1125 (NBRR-12) Disc Brake Rotor Standard Duty Fr/Rr Calp And Pads (Front)

Vehicle Build Date after: 1/9/2012

If I search on Fordparts.com without a VIN, and I chose a 2015 instead of 2013, that same rotor comes up as one of the options, which it shouldn't, since there's not supposed to be standard duty brakes on those.

So, I have no idea what's on mine. I seem to recall reading the standard duty rear brakes were only 12" rotors. Mine are definitely around 13". I thought the heavy duty fronts were 14", but I could be wrong. Mine appear to be the same, or close, size front and rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been trying to figure out what I have for a while. According to the tech on my last visit to the dealer, I have original OEM brakes, but the pads have been changed.

I can't get the 'minor features' section of ETIS to expand, but it's worked in the past and shown standard duty brakes. Build date of 5/16/12.
Hi Jon. I discovered that the Ford ETIS site changed a month or so ago and I have the same issue. There was another link posted that supplied the same type of info but I can't seem to find it right now.
EDIT: found it; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Peter

Back