Start up knock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Start up knock

351mustang65

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mountaineer premier
My 04 Mountaineer (4.6 with 96k on it) has a knocking sound like piston slap or a rod on start up but then it goes away or quiets down but I hear this is common with the 4.6. So is this something I should worry about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm curious what people have to say on this one. I have similar noises with my 4.6 and 125k, and when it's cold it sounds like the valve train is noisey also...

Ford has oil filter with bleed back valve that helps with start up noise. The FL-820S filter keeps oil from draining back and cause starting up lack of pressure.

Ford has oil filter with bleed back valve that helps with start up noise. The FL-820S filter keeps oil from draining back and cause starting up lack of pressure.

That's the filter I use, the Motorcraft. The noises don't usually quiet down completely until the engine is warmed up most of the way.

I use FRAM Xtended Guard with the silicone anti-drainback valve and Valvoline SynPower oil.

I use FRAM Xtended Guard with the silicone anti-drainback valve and Valvoline SynPower oil.

exactly what ive been using in my 05 X and the wifes 08 escape

I'm a retired (medically) partsman with over 40 years of experience (ASE certified), and personally, I won't use a Fram or AC Delco oil filter for nothing. If you every cut one open, you'll never use one either.

We used to display all the oil filter brands we carried, and cut the cans to show the customers what was inside. You'd laugh at a Fram, but not at their costs. Almost any other brand had a better filtration insert and mesh assy than those that the Fram and AC/Delco's had. Purolator, Motorcraft Hastings and Wix, were by far the best of the name brands. Others (like Amsoil, K&N, etc) weren't on our display. I know they have good results from those brands thoiugh.

Oil is like clothing. You use what you like, even if some brands are in actuality are superior. I use Motorcraft Syn. oil in all my Fords. I use Valvoline in my GM motorhome. Personal preference.

My '02 has a 4.0 v-6, but periodically I'll hear the timing chains start rattling especially accelerating up hills. I'll use "Pyroil" engine flush in the used oil before I change it. You run it in the oild oil for 5 mins WITHOUT revving. Drain oil,replace filter,new Maxlife oil and no more noises! Plus, with the oil jurnals cleaned out, it runs better and gets better fuel economy. I do this every 20-30k miles.

Back