Starter will not engage starter 4.0 sohc automatic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter will not engage starter 4.0 sohc automatic

Preppie

Reaction score
City, State
Pikeville,kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer 4.0 xl
I purchased this ford 2001 ford exp with 4.0 sohc with automatic transmission from a friend who got from someone who couldn't ever get it started .so I purchased this thinking that maybe they were getting wrong starter for some reason .well I've owned it for about 5months and work on it in my spare time .i have put two new starters and replaced flywheel and still can't get starter engage with flywheel ..i have got it started several times by loosening starter bolts and by using a lug wrench of moving and wiggling starter back and forth and by catching the flywheel and hold it by hitting key switch till starter connects with flywheel and it does starte the vehicle but if you tighten bolts it won't start unless you do that ever time which may take an hour or two ever time you start it ??everone that looked at it says you need new flywheel with.i had chewed up the teeth pretty rough from the way I was having to start it again and again.so I had it replaced with a new one .part# atpautomotive# well sorry can't find reciets but I called parts store to double checked years and engine model but all three starters and flywheel match up they say .one of my buddy's all so used one of the starters as a test subject and grinded holes bigger and that never helped nothing I will in close pics of old starter and flywheel....and put anew starter that way I had new on new .after all that I hit the key and all I hear is starter kicking in and it still turns freely .i took starter off just to make sure it was installed correct .everthing looks fine .exchept for one thing is that before I got the vehicle someone had stripped out the top threads in the bellhousing but installed new bolt and washer and nut .they had just drilled out the hole just snuff to slide a bolt threw and put a nut on the back of the bolt but the hole isn't off if it is it can't be by a hair which I don't know any more.ever mechanic says wrong starter or wrong flywheel .tired of just replacing parts and not working.all so I use my own jumper cable to starter just to make sure that's not the problem ..so I know I have to be missing something . I have no ideal what to do with it so I joined this forum for you're all's help ...sorry for along prescription of my problem .just wanted to give you all info I could if would help me figure out what's wrong .....please help.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First I think you mean "flex plate" not "flywheel." Flex plates are used for automatics. There should be a thin spacer plate between the transmission bell housing and the engine. Check to see if that is still there before we go any further.

P1010828__85939.1424324362.1280.1280.jpeg

First I think you mean "flex plate" not "flywheel." Flex plates are used for automatics. There should be a thin spacer plate between the transmission bell housing and the engine. Check to see if that is still there before we go any further.
No there is no plate between bellhous and motor,and yes IAM sorry I keep saying flywheel but it is flexplate,,it's 2001 expl xlt 4.0 sohc with automatic awd.some one said that model does have a plate and some days it does and some say only ones with clutch standard.. I have been trying to find the specs for trans mission and for starter to see if I have the wrong starter but 3 times brand new ??maybe,can anyone help me find specs or measurements for starter and measurements for flexplate to starter and also my flexplate was replaced with atp z 349

Block plate

Attachments

• P1010827__86246.1424324362.1280.1280.jpeg
    P1010827__86246.1424324362.1280.1280.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 61

Back