Starter Won't Crank on Very Cold Weather | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter Won't Crank on Very Cold Weather

DaVisionary

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
Greetings, I am hoping someone might have run into this issue before and can provide any insight...

I noticed the explorer had a hard time starting on the cold, tested the battery and it was bad so I replaced it. Then after two days of not running, the explorer wouldn't start the morning. I thought I had a parasitic drain. Hooked up voltmeter, and verified there was no drain after modules went to sleep, about 45min - hour. Reading was right around .01 milliamps. I thought perhaps I had left something on, so I recharged the battery and dismissed it. Recently when we had below freezing weather the car would not start even when hooked up to a jump starter. (ran fine night before). Tried to manually jump the starter motor by using a screw driver and touching the positive terminal on the solenoid to the starter, and I heard a constant whirring from the solenoid/starter instead of the usual cranking sound. Next morning temps where above 30 degrees, car started just fine.

So I think I isolated the problem to the starter/solenoid, the starter relay and everything in between. Ordered a starter and plan on swapping it in the next few days. Does anyone know what would be failing under cold weather?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you made the right diagnosis.

Back