• Register Today It's free!

Starting a 302 swap!

93doraexplora

Reaction score
City, State
North carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
Hello all. I have a 93 with a manual transmission. My main concern is about my transmission and transfer case. I need to know before I go and spend all kinds of money if my tranny and tc will work with a 302? The 4.0 has lost compression over a period of time and decided to just swap a 302 in. I have been following matts 92 302 4r70w thread for a while now. i would like to keep my 4x4 and 5 speed. its going to take a while for this to get done money is VERY tight. ANY information would be grateful.

Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome brandon

You will need a different transmission. The bolt pattern on the bell housing is different.

I recommend getting the entire package -- engine and transmission -- from the donor vehicle.

What are you going to do about the electronics? The Explorer has multiple computers onboard that all have to work together to make the thing run right. You could eliminate all of that and run an old-skook carbed engine, but it would NEVER be legal from an EPA standpoint. If it is off-road only, that is a decent option, but if you intend to drive it on the street, that probably isn't an option unless you live in a remote area that doesn't inspect AT ALL.

You can pull in the wiring harness from the donor vehicle. Not TOO much trouble with that, but a lot of work. EVERYTHING is tied to the harness, including the fuel tank and gauge panel.

Otherwise, the 302 is a great swap for the Explorer. The factory should have done that from the start.

thanks glfredrick. I have NO clue about the electronics. I could run a carb seeing as how NC doesnt do emissions on 95 and earlier. Its just that i do travel from NC about 2200 FT to florida and upwards of 4000 FT to my dads house in VA. So thats another thing i dont want to be jetting ALL the time. HAHA. I would actually love a carbed engine. What would be the best transmission to use? i want to keep my 5 speed.I also want to keep my 4x4 for the white stuff we eventually get as well as at my dads.

There is a thread that is finishing right now about a 302 swap... and another one that started shortly before it I believe... you can find BOTH OF THESE SWAPS in the Modified Section. Just look a little bit, any concerns you have can be found, and answered in swaps done by:

Spdrcer34 (unfinished but on the way)
seth247 (Finishing as we speak, I believe he just has a few gremlins to figure out, but it's up and running)
410Fortune (finished and proven, although in a Bronco II I believe, basically the same thing, he upgraded from the same 4.0/A4LD setup we have)

Yes blacksheep, i have been following seth247s build for a while now and hes is using the 4r70w as well as 410 and spdrcer is wanting to use a t5 if im not mistaking. i want to use a 5 speed manual and use a different tc to keep my 4x4 im not auto now and i dont want to be auto after the build. so that being said i still would like to know what would be the best 5 speed to use for this build. Sorry im not trying to be mean if its coming off that way. i appreciate your input on my concerns and hope you help me in the future.

Brandon

Back