• Register Today It's free!

Starting issues.

RevLuvv

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer EB
I have a 99 explorer with a weird starting problem. With a full battery( measured voltage and placed it on a starting charger) -- I place key in ignition. turn to on position. gauges fire up but voltage is low. I turn the key and total discharge ( no lights or indicators in cabin) It will not reset. I remove battery terminal, wait replace it and the interior lights come back on. I repeat with the same results. The night it first happened it started but while depressing the gas the voltage showed a huge drop. At idle, the computer stated voltage OK. I found it odd and turned it off for a restart. When I did I experienced the problem listed above. Any ideas?? Relays??

Thanks in advance!

Patrick:

Does the same thing happen when you try to jump start? I've had the battery be so dead that it registered as charged for a bit. Maybe something to look at. Also check the cables running to your battery, any corrosion will cause low voltage even with e fresh battery.
If those are good, look in the power distribution box under the hood. Your manual will tell you which relay is for the starting system. Switch that relay with a similar one nearby and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you

Instead of removing the cable each time I just wiggled the negative. It looks very poor and corroded. I have about 180k on it but it still looks new and I want to relpace anything that I can to keep it reliable. The threads are saying a 1/0 cable for the negative. Does that sound right? Is there something better?
Is it difficult to remove the connection from the solenoid? I have been looking for diagrams. I sure would like to do it from the top if possible.

Back