starting problem - trouble shooting needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

starting problem - trouble shooting needed

BUCHVILLEMAN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Buckville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
95' xlt
okay so i looked here
at these search results
and it has helped bit but my probelm (as self induced as it may be) is a little more complex.

when i was installing the solid axle erlier this year i had nearly completed the install when ihad the steerin to address. i had the steering shaft disconnected as i was installing the new steering box. well i was letting my 3 year old steer the wheel as i saw no harmin it. well had sat and spun it until the "clock soing" (not sure if thats right - its hte flat wire that has six individual flat copper wires going from colum to airbag, horn, cruise) was bound up. trying to unloosen it i more or less severed all th wires:mad: yes i know retarded... so for the past 6 months ive gone with out horn, air bags or cruise. this weekend i decided to fix it. so i got it all out and started to replace the wiring. it all seemed to work just great. the horn worked. but as soon as i got in to check it all out i noticed the air bag light was still on. no biggie. so then i noticed that the crusie wouldnt work. crap. so i come hoem and think to myself that may be i need ot reset the puter so i left the batt disconencte for an hour or so. i reconencted it and whammo IT WONT START!

i cannot hear the fuel pump engaging when i put it inthe on position. my thought is that the computer thinks that the air bags have deployed and it wont let me start - can anyone verify if this is fact or my lame assumption.

what is could it be. the starter turns over but no fireing no fuel at all.

ist there a reset that anyone is aware of besides the key on key off 256 times? im goign to try that to see if it will help but from what i can tell thats to clear a lingering code...

thoughts? ideas? insults? flaming? i dont care i just need some help!

I thought there was a fuel cutoff switch under the passenger side carpet by the firewall. Did you check that?

i reste fuel inertia switch earlier. thanks.

i think it is goingto end up being the fuelpump. i pulled the harness off the pump and it had power so it should have been pumping.

i think it was a bad coincidence. that it went at the saem time i was doing the other.

ill find out tommorrow. ill update with pics.

was indeed the pump. i got the $87 one but it must have been for a newer model as it had a wiring clipp and different pickup. so it ended up being $140. i did not syphon the tank. i opted to put a 4' 4x4 under it and lower it with a floor jack. to insure i didnt drop it i used 2 ratchet tie downs to also keep it from dropping. eniter job took about 4 hours of labor.

air bag light is still on but i plan to clear it with the key cycle 256 times deal.

Back