• Register Today It's free!

Starting Problems

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Hey all, my first real problem with the truck so far. I drove around all day and then went and parked in front of a building for 5 minutes, come back outside and it doesn't start. First instinct is trying to jump it. Nothing and battery won't hold a charge. I then notice that my stereo is going crazy turning on and off again while the key is out. So I pull it out and notice that some of my crimps (I knew I should have soldered...) came apart which made me think something was shorting and eating the current being put to the battery by the jumper car.

Next crazy thing, something starts clicking inside the car randomly when the key is out of the ignition. It goes away when I depress the brake though. My first guess is that my stereo is screwing things up, my dad is picking up a new battery on his way home now.

So my question is, would having disconnected radio wires touching be enough to not let the battery charge? If not, anyone have any ideas as to the problem?

Fixed. Completely unhooked the stereo and changed the battery and it starts like new. But on a side note, I was pulling fuses out and checking them and in my infinite wisdom I dropped a 15A fuse somewhere into the abyss. I pulled one from the interior fuse panel and put it outside.

Does anyone know what fuse 38 is inside?

Should be listed inside the owners manual, it's near the back somewhere.

Back