Starting the 5.0 swap in Ranger 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting the 5.0 swap in Ranger 4x4

Steve Seaton

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville
Year, Model & Trim Level
00Ranger 4x4
79Pro Pinto
Callsign
KE4LEQ
Hey everyone, getting ready to start the Ranger 5.0 swap in my 2000 extended cab 4x4. I have an Explorer for the parts but considering what trans to use. Looking for info on the 4r70w and M5ODR-2 /4406 swaps and will be looking through the threads. I have done the Bronco II 5.0efi/np435/np205/d44/9" build on 35's in the past. Currently I have a Prostreet Pinto 351/t5/9"/Detroit/4link/31-18.50MTpro doing about 500hp. Got to finish it up and get started on the Ranger. I see a lot of great stuff from everyone on the site and look forward to all the info posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome!
It's pretty simple, do you want a 5 speed or an auto?
Both are obtainable
Is your ranger a stick or auto now?

Welcome!
It's pretty simple, do you want a 5 speed or an auto?
Both are obtainable
Is your ranger a stick or auto now?
It's an automatic but not a big deal. I live about 2 miles from the junk yard. Kinda thinking about keeping the automatic from my explorer for a daily driver.

Its much easier to keep the automatic as the computer is already expecting it and you do not have to add clutch pedal assembly /hydraulics to your truck, ditch the column shifter /indicator, and have the computer tuned. So the auto is a more "natural" fit
The M5OD-R2 can also be done, as I am sure you know...just requires that computer tune at the end.....

Back