5.0 4x4 Ranger.

H2opro

Reaction score
City, State
Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
06F-350,98mountaineer
Hey all,
Just as the title says. I did a 5.0 swap on my 2000 ranger. Using a totaled 2000 mountaineer. If there is a thread to post info on. Or if Anyone has questions feel free to ask..

IMG_20190614_164633799_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190614_164610961_HDR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wicked good! Did you keep it AWD?

Yes sir for now. I'm waiting to see how reliable the trans is. If it goes I'll put it back to part time or swap a 5 speed in it. If anyone knows where a write up is for a 5 speed swap I'd be much obliged.
wicked good! Did you keep it AWD?

The truck works as if it came factory with the 5.0. Pat's, a/c, cruise control all works.

the 4r70w auto transmission is very reliable, it comes from half ton trucks (F150 and expedition) and is very stout transmission for a ranger
the 4405 awd transfer case has clutches inside that do wear out, even though they can last for 200-300K miles, changing the fluid often is the best way to ensure it gives you good performance and lasts a long time.

You can convert to a real 4x4 t case if you so choose, when we build 5.0 rangers we often use the 4406m or 4406e or np205 t case to eliminate the awd.
in order to remove your 4r70w 4 speed automatic and install a 5 speed you would need some computer tuning as the PCM that controls the 5.0 also controls the auto transmission and with the transmission functions missing the engine will not run properly.
There are 5 speeds (manual trans) that will bolt up to your engine, after all it is a 302 (1969-2001) and there are plenty of rangers out there running this setup, however to use the explorer computer would require tuning....

the 4r70w auto transmission is very reliable, it comes from half ton trucks (F150 and expedition) and is very stout transmission for a ranger
the 4405 awd transfer case has clutches inside that do wear out, even though they can last for 200-300K miles, changing the fluid often is the best way to ensure it gives you good performance and lasts a long time.

You can convert to a real 4x4 t case if you so choose, when we build 5.0 rangers we often use the 4406m or 4406e or np205 t case to eliminate the awd.
in order to remove your 4r70w 4 speed automatic and install a 5 speed you would need some computer tuning as the PCM that controls the 5.0 also controls the auto transmission and with the transmission functions missing the engine will not run properly.
There are 5 speeds (manual trans) that will bolt up to your engine, after all it is a 302 (1969-2001) and there are plenty of rangers out there running this setup, however to use the explorer computer would require tuning....
I have a 98 5.0 mountaineer with 300k. The VC coupler in the t case went out last winter. Only thing that ever failed minus the starter. The 4r70w is a good trans. The one I swapped in I don't know the history on. The 5.0 explorers are rated to tow around 6,000lbs I think. About a 1000 more than the 4.0 rangers. I'll probably leave it alone for know. If the trans breaks then I'll swap the t case at the same time. One thing I do need to replace is the radiator. The donor truck one was bad. So it has the 4.0 rad still. Doesn't overheat. But the temp gets up to around 215 while towing.

The 4406 is a must have, it frees up the power lost from AWD

Back