Starts well when cold and does not when hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starts well when cold and does not when hot

djpanfire

Reaction score
City, State
Port-au-Prince
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Xlt 4wd
I went to the archives and saw that some of u guys ran trough this problem to: the explorer starts well when cold and does not when hot. And I do not mean overheating. It cranks but wont turn over. Sometimes it will turn over but most of the times... U wait a while depending; it can be from 20-30 min to hours or ... anyways till it cools off a little and starts well back again. But I do not know if any of u found thew solution or have the solution. The only thing I can add to this problem that I also have is that I realise each time I have this problem taking out the pump relay to shut it off makes the car start. It cranks a little longer then usual (like 1 or 2 seconds more) then starts on the littlt amount gas on the system.
I just have to put back the relay in place before it dies. But even if it dies ; when put back the relay and start it again it will turn over and work fine. But u got to open your hood each and everytime..sucks
Anyone knows wha's going on
PS: the pump relay is,to my opinion, at the time is very hot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your symptoms sound consistent with a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Pull the vacuum line to the FPr and check for gasoline (If there's gas there, the FPR needs to be replaced).

I'm having similar issues. Mi
ne will start, but it takes a few seconds longer.

Also, put a new relay in.

Hey Guys thanks for all ur advices;

I had alredy replace the fuel pump relay (Matter of fact it's the first thing I did when I encountered this problem)

And I also had checked for gas in the FPR vacuum line. Since I had problems with a prior one; it blocked the fuel, there was no return and I was burning gas pumps after gas pumps.
But I still gotta check to see if the actual one is working properly since I did not get it new.

But hey here is what I did after doing a little research
I changed The IAC (Idle Air Control) sensor. The older one was not going High enough on the tachometer
And cleaned my IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor

Now I Start anytime anyplace and runs smooth

Back