Steering Box or Seals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Box or Seals

WizardOfOdds

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
Ok so about a week ago I lost power steering. I had a friend check it out and he said its coming from where the pitman arm connects to the steering box. Ok no problem. I went to the shop and they told me its not smart to just replace the seals because there is sometime of bushing or something that usually goes when the seal goes too. They said they could change the seals but there is no gaurantee that it would fix anything (they didn't look at it yet but we were just talking).. Total cost for a used box and that installed would be around 500$ he said. I really need to get this fixed and don't have the time or space especially in this canadian winter now to really check it out. Oh and he always said I would be without a truck for a couple of days. Which is no good because I have a fair commute to work and do not get paid for time off.

My question is, is it possible to get away with just changing the seals because I was told by another guy (he didnt check it out either) that the job would only take 3 hours. Im just concerned that replacing the seals might not work and I have been driving it most of the week just topping off the fluid and the leak is just getting worse.

Has anyone had to do this before? Any suggestions on what I should do? I have the money to replace the box if nessessary it's just I'd rather save the money and not lose my truck for a couple of days. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem and was leaking fluid from the same place. I used 2 bottles of Lucas Oil brand power steering stop leak and that was a while ago. Stuff is about $8 a bottle but well worth it as it solved the problem for $16

nice dont know if that will work its leaking real good now... but its worth a shot 16 dollars is better than 500 dollars... umm did you just fill it with the 2 bottles and no p/s fluid and run it like that or did u use 1 bottle and fluid... let it leak a bit then put in another bottle... you made my day and I hope it works...

Well mine was leaking pretty good too and it was pretty much out of fluid when I put 1 bottle in since that is all it will hold, actually a little less than 1 bottle and it quit leaking for a while and started again and I adeed the rest and what it took from another bottle to fill it and that has been some time ago. The stuff is really thick so if nothing else it will slow it way down. I had already decided if that didn't do it I was just going to have the seal replaced since there is no way I would put alot of money in it since it is a beater and has 230,000 miles on it. Good luck
nice dont know if that will work its leaking real good now... but its worth a shot 16 dollars is better than 500 dollars... umm did you just fill it with the 2 bottles and no p/s fluid and run it like that or did u use 1 bottle and fluid... let it leak a bit then put in another bottle... you made my day and I hope it works...

Yeah I've used up both bottles now... It leaks a little bit even now but the leaking has slowed down incredibly... Im only hoping that this car lasts me through the winter... usually the resevoir would be bone dry between the time I got to work and left... today I still had plenty power steering to make it home and I still have lots of fluid in the resevoir even now. Thanks for the suggestion on doing this, helped a lot. I'll probably still have to top it off every few days or so Im thinking. But since I will only be keeping my X for a couple more months its better than spending the 5 or 6 hundred dollars for the repair.

look you have a leak in the power steering system at the pitman arm. I don't know the milage but if its the orginal gear box, you might want to inspect the the wear the seal has done on the shaft. If there is a groove from the seal has be rubbing on the shaft then replacing the seal is not going to have now effect or little resolution to stoping the leak. Then the next step would be find replacement part or replace the gear box with a REMAN. The stop leak fluid is a band aid, and just that, you roll the dice on that type of fix and no telling where it will go out at or better yet who will be driving the vehicle at the time its quits.

I had the same problem in my 94 XLT, I just bought a seal kit from ford for $35 bucks and changed them myself, I haven't lost a drop of fluid since. This was the first time I've ever worked on a truck like this and had it fixed in 3 or 4 hours. If you know what you're doing, you could do it much quicker.

Had the same problem changing the seal didn’t work had to replace the steering box and while I was their I changed the pump all for about 350.00 and it took about 3 hrs

Hey guys, I used the lucas stuff and it worked for a couple of days now its leaking again so I decided to change the box... I went to napa and they want close to 400$ for a new box... I just found this website where the box is less then half that the only problem is they have 2 different kinds of boxes...

This one is listed under "Power Steering Gear Box"
http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com/catalog/?Ne=28&N=10333+4294967004+1616+7120

And these ones are listed under "Steering Gear Box"
http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com/catalog/?Ne=28&N=10333+4294967004+1616+5952

Can anyone tell me which is the right part to order? They are only around 120$ which is a lot better then 400. Then I'll just get a shop to pop it in for me. Thanks

Back