• Register Today It's free!

Steering Problem

Metallica0682

Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
ok So the other day I was taking a right hand turn and my steering locked up on me I gave it a good jerk to the left and it made a clunk then was fine....later I had to turn my wheel almost 3/4 the way around to make a turn. Now theres a whining sound and a knocknig/grinding noise from the steering. Anyone know what it may be? power Steering pump? Steering box? The fluid is up to where it should be. please HELP need to work on Monday!:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmmmm,, is the steering rack and pinion leaking,, ??
is the pump leaaking ?
is the pump making that noise,, ??
is it the water pump,,
hmmm,
i would say you have to narrow it down by the noise and where it is coming from, , that will be the source of the problem,,the fluid could be okay , even though the pump is suffering, mine whines a bit, but when i put the new rack and pinion in it will prolly go away ,

well there seems to be no leaking...the winning I beleave is coming from the power steering pump...doesn't matter if I'm parked or driving down the road it still wines like crazy. the front end seems to be kinda shaky but most of the front end is new ball joints, hub assembly, shocks, tie rods are tight. just seems to be getting worse ans worse by the day.

steering rack thats got to be it or atleast from what your saying. i just got in a wreck that phucked my steering rack so ive seen how that stuff goes. thats definately somthing u gotta take care of or you could end up stuck in a right turn and be way worse off. unfortunately its gonna cost you about a grand if u take it to a shop. but thats what i think lol second opinion is probably needed ;)

just a thought, i cant remember if the explorers have it or not, but are there any u-joints on the intermediate steering shaft.

if no u-joints then it does sound like a steering rack problem and the whine from the pump may just be secondary.

what does the fluid in the pump resevoir look like ?? is it clear, or black ? green , ??

that will tell you if the pump is getting bad, if the fluid is changing color,, or if the fluid is vacuumed out and replaced , will it go away , i used a vac pump to take all the fluid out of my resevoir once, and replaced it with clean stuff, it got quieter,,

Back