Steering Problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah! Nice... Okay, so we can stick to your issue, aside from all that's been done and looked at, have you had the wheels and tyres balanced and aligned since your trip?

Brand new tyres fitted 2 days ago, all balanced up. Problem still exists. Had a wheel alignment done just before i went away. It was out but corrected. Have not had one done since the trip.

I was confused about the AWD 4WD system as i was given advice from Ford that it was AWD. They failed to mention it was 2WD while under ordinary driving. I even asked them if it was switchable and they said "you cannot put the car in 2WD there is no provision for it". They did not explain how it works, just what i can and cannot do.

I would try to have it aligned again... but 9.99 times out of 10 if you follow IZ's advice, your issue will be resolved. The site is about to shut down in about 2 minutes. It'll be back up in a bit.. Talk to you soon!

Recieved this TSB which is exactly what the symptoms are.

Have a look at the TSB in my OZI thread. Its a PDF file.

At this stage i have disconnected the wiring harness located directly above the Shift motor and my dash lights are intemitteantly flashing telling the there is a problem with the 4wd system. The problem has gone.

Recieved this TSB which is exactly what the symptoms are.

Have a look at the TSB in my OZI thread. Its a PDF file.

At this stage i have disconnected the wiring harness located directly above the Shift motor and my dash lights are intemitteantly flashing telling the there is a problem with the 4wd system. The problem has gone.

Hi, Greetins from Brazil.

I was surfing on the net wondering for a solution for this problem similar as yours I am having at this moment. My Explorer 97 is showing a noise when turning, looks like the wheel are being blocked by something. I thought it could be a differential matter, but after reading your post I guess the transfer case is being blocked prematurely when turning at low speed, like parking. 4WD issue !

How did you solve the problem ? Just cut the brown wire coming from the transfercase motor ? Did you find a cause for prematurely engagement ?

Could it be a defective t-case ?

Thanks,

Christian

Hi, Greetins from Brazil.

I was surfing on the net wondering for a solution for this problem similar as yours I am having at this moment. My Explorer 97 is showing a noise when turning, looks like the wheel are being blocked by something. I thought it could be a differential matter, but after reading your post I guess the transfer case is being blocked prematurely when turning at low speed, like parking. 4WD issue !

How did you solve the problem ? Just cut the brown wire coming from the transfercase motor ? Did you find a cause for prematurely engagement ?

Could it be a defective t-case ?

Thanks,

Christian

First thing you need to do is get under the car and disconnect the plastic electrical harness connectors which are near the transfer case. Wrap them in tape to avoid dirt and dust contamination. Your 4wd lights will flash on the dashboard. This is OK. Its you computer telling you there is a problem with the 4wd. (its not connected). Your car is now fully rear wheel drive only. If the problem you have dissapears then you have found the issue.

Let me know how you go and i will find some stuff sent to me.

Back