• Register Today It's free!

Steering shaft adjustment

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I got a steering wheel from a town car a while back to swap into my Ex. The problem is that it seems like the splined shaft that the wheel rides on looks as though it needs rotated a bit to get the two flat spots to line up with my new wheel. Can the shaft itself be rotated so this steering wheel will fit? The wheel is virtually identical aside from the part that actually attaches to the column!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If we are talking steering wheels with air bags, best to stick with the exact make and model to match. Specific design criteria goes into air bag steering wheels and when installing into a vehicle is was not intended to be in or on, it could potentially be dangerous, I would not do it.

The trucks evidently have different column spline dimensions. I was told this years ago when I was considering a two spoke wheel for my old 91 Lincoln.

Did you attempt to put the wheel on the column? I think the difference will be much more than the flat(s) being off a bit. My impression was the diameter or the spline count is enough off that there's no way to mate the two.

If the wheel would slip on, the rotation would only matter if the clock spring was off center enough that it would damage itself with full lock in one direction. Of if the center point was way off from the centering of the rack, which would reduce range of motion in one direction.

First double check that the wheel will go on, I doubt it will.

It will go on. If I line up the two flat spots it will push right on. The problem is the wheel will be at about 10 o'clock with the wheels pointing straight.

This isn't a huge safety thing 974X4BLACKSPORT, it is literally the exact same steering wheel. The cars just don't use splines to hold the wheel on, they use the two opposing flat spots, where as the trucks use both splines and flats to hold the wheel.

I was honestly worried about the range of motion potentially being limited. I might just bite the bullet and buy a wheel from a Navigator or maybe an Aviator. I am trying to add a little more woodgrain to match the center radio bezel. My wheel was pretty ratty to begin with.

It's good to hear the wheels will physically go on, but the range of motion might be too much trouble to deal with. The other steering shaft joints also only go together in one orientation, altering it would be a custom connection issue. I'm still wishing to find a NOS or like new Town Car wheel, or similar models, in medium grey, for my 92 Mark VII. I have an 03 Marauder wheel, but it's in average condition.

Back