• Register Today It's free!

Steering shaft rattle?

tompass

Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Getting a slight rattle when 98 explorer starts moving or when brakes are applied. Can also just barely hear it and feel it in steering wheel at highway speeds. If the steering shaft is held and moved up or down, the sound can somewhat be replicated. Sounds like it is coming from somewhere within the rubber boot at bottom of steering shaft. Is this possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yob_yeknom had this problem. He said he lubed the steering shaft boot at the firewall and it fixed it.

Thanks Jason but the sound seems to be coming from boot at bottom of shaft and not on firewall. Whadda you think?

Mine makes sort of a buzzing sound (sounds like zzz zzz zzz) , it's the reason this thread caught my eye. I can feel it through the shaft, but barely. Drives me nuts sometimes.

Just went out and pulled on shaft at top near that boot on firewall and I heard the annoying click/click. Did not know that that boot could be lubed. Don't see fittings so I assume it has to be somehow removed.

Back