Steering Wheel Appears Mis-Aligned With Steering Column | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Appears Mis-Aligned With Steering Column

hillre51

Reaction score
City, State
vine grove, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer eddie bauer
Hello all, back again with more Explorer issues. I've a 2003, V6, 115K miles. It seems that the steering wheel is out of alignment with the steering column while driving down the road going straight. The vehilce has been aligned but I just noticed this. Is it difficult to re-aligned the steering wheel with the steering column. Please Advise if you have experienced this issue and resolved it. Appreciate your assistance, have a great day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure but they might have adjusted your toe in without consideration for the steering wheel position. One tie rod might have to be adjusted in while the other is adjusted out the exact same amount to center the wheel. You should probably go back to the alignment shop since they are likely the ones who screwed it up.

Not sure but they might have adjusted your toe in without consideration for the steering wheel position. One tie rod might have to be adjusted in while the other is adjusted out the exact same amount to center the wheel. You should probably go back to the alignment shop since they are likely the ones who screwed it up.

'Tis a sad day in hell, to be sure, if an ALIGNMENT SHOP is not cognizant of the need to establish correct TOE amount, while ensuring the steering wheel is properly centered. imp

I stopped by there yesterday and discussed with them; of course, they denied it. however, I have an appointment setup with them on Saturday morning. Hopefully they will get it right this time around. They actually didn't want to do it until I raised my voice at them:)). Probably will be the last time I take it there (BIG O). Thanks for taking time to respond and thanks for the info/suggestion, appreciate it very much.

I agree. They were probably more concerned about the $$$$$$ vs properly aligning the vehicle. I only recall seeing them playing around the front/rear wheels with some sort computerized machine when I peeped through the window. This time I will be walking into the shop area to make sure it's done right. Yes, it's a real shame that folks can't even get a proper alignment these days which isn't cheap either. I only got a 30 day warranty on it and they claim it because of my 22" wheels........I NEVER:)). Thanks for responding, take care ALL.

'Tis a sad day in hell, to be sure, if an ALIGNMENT SHOP is not cognizant of the need to establish correct TOE amount, while ensuring the steering wheel is properly centered. imp

Thanks for the link! I'm taking it back to the shop to let them get it right, hopefully. especially since I paid them $80 for a 30 day warranty.........their logiic for that, is due to 22" wheels on it. take care

QUOTE=swshawaii;3196951]http://www.carparts.com/alignment.htm#Steering Center[/QUOTE]

Why Wheel position Important

With today's relatively "quick" steering gear ratios, an offset steering wheel can cause problems with failure to properly cancel turn signal switch appropriately. imp

...but the machine said it was OK........

Centering the steering wheel after adjusting the toe is a simple part of the alignment. Lazy "techs" just don't take the time to perform the job properly.

Main reason why I take my vehicles to an "old-school" alignment shop to have the job done the right way. Guy checks, adjusts, drives, adjusts again if needed then hands the car back when it is right. And his prices are very reasonable. It's worth the distance I have to drive to get to his shop.

Problem has been resolved. per local shop, the steering wheel was out of alignment due to the new toe link that I installed after the original alignment. so I suppose it's my mistake:)). They realigned it at a cost of $50. It drives much better now. Thanks to all..........take care.

...but the machine said it was OK........

Centering the steering wheel after adjusting the toe is a simple part of the alignment. Lazy "techs" just don't take the time to perform the job properly.

Main reason why I take my vehicles to an "old-school" alignment shop to have the job done the right way. Guy checks, adjusts, drives, adjusts again if needed then hands the car back when it is right. And his prices are very reasonable. It's worth the distance I have to drive to get to his shop.

Problem has been resolved. per local shop, the steering wheel was out of alignment due to the new toe link that I installed after the original alignment. so I suppose it's my mistake:)). They realigned it at a cost of $50. It drives much better now. Thanks to all..........take care.

haha....ohhh the things people "forget to mention"...

hahaha

im glad it all worked out..

:salute:

hahaha

What purpose do snide remarks accomplish at this point in time? Only the remaining hangers-on here, like me, will read and wonder about your contriteness. imp

What purpose do snide remarks accomplish at this point in time? Only the remaining hangers-on here, like me, will read and wonder about your contriteness. imp

I don't think anyone but you cares....

at least I don't....haha

im glad I twisted your panties though

have a great rest of the day

:thumbsup:

I don't think anyone but you cares....

at least I don't....haha

im glad I twisted your panties though

have a great rest of the day

:thumbsup:

A little nonsense, now and then,
Is cherished by the best of men! imp

Thanks, cost me another $49 bucks however for the adjustments. paid $80 originally for 1st alignment.......it all about the mighty $$$$$$ anyway in the U.S.:))

hahaha

Back