Steering wheel coating flaking off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel coating flaking off

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
There is some sort of coating on the steering wheel on my '06 that is flaking off. I have been taking my fingernail and scraping it off but is there a solvent I could use that would lift it off the steering wheel without damaging the secondary coating? Such as laquer thinner, carb cleaner, mineral spirits, etc.?

2013-05-21_10-22-26_702_zpsecf03957.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is doing the same thing but it is much worse than yours. I thought it was grease from my hands but seems like the top coating of tan is wearing off and the brown underneath is now showing. I would like to hear what people have to say about this.

The steering wheel material is disintegrating. Heat, sun, skin oil, cleaners, etc. all contribute.

Solution? Get a Dallas Cowboy steering wheel cover.

The leather on the steering wheel and the leather seats (if you have them) is colored with a water based leather paint (that is what is coming off). An upholstery shop would have what you need to touch up the steering wheel and make it look new again.

Me, personally, I'd get a nice steering wheel cover.

The leather on the steering wheel and the leather seats (if you have them) is colored with a water based leather paint (that is what is coming off). An upholstery shop would have what you need to touch up the steering wheel and make it look new again.

I was doing some detailing on my Explorer the other day and while cleaning up the inside decided to see if I could remove this gummy funk off the steering wheel. I first used a rag soaked with laquer thinner to remove what was already peeling off. Then I tried #0000 steel wool also soaked in laquer thinner to see if I could remove the thicker coating that had yet to flake off.

The result: The steering wheel doesn't really look any better (dull with somewhat of a white appearance) but no longer has that gummy/sticky feel to it. So I am somewhat pleased.

There is still what looks like a snake skin appearance (bumps) on the side facing the driver that doesn't appear to come off.

I thought about wrapping it with one of those leatherwraps that you have to stitch it using a darning needle and wax coated thread.

Because the steering wheel has the volume and climate controls built into it, I don't know if it would look right or not.

I may just go the quick and dirty route and get one of those tan wraps that just slips over the grip.

There is still what looks like a snake skin appearance (bumps) on the side facing the driver that doesn't appear to come off.

Just for clarification, those "bumps" are a product of the type of leather that was used and most likely cowhide. It is also how you can tell that it is leather and not leatherette. I personally think that the easiest/cheapest thing is to just paint it back all one color. Most craft stores and fabric stores carry the paint.

Back