• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Cover

x5h21q2

Reaction score
City, State
Bucks, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
My steering wheel is very warn / discolored. I am looking to rewrap it but have a few questions:

Is there the regular plastic steering wheel under the leather cover? Or is it just a metal rod?

Is it worth unwrapping the old one and having the new one put back on? Or is it just easier putting a cover on it?

I found a skin at wheelskins.com, a user on this forum posted a picture of theirs where they just placed it over, does not look that bad:
ry%3D480.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wifes had the same problem so she picked one up (wheel cover) at Walmart the same color as her interior.Looks good and didnt cost alot.Although she picked up the more expensive one because she wanted it to last longer..All in all,a cheap easy fix.

I have one from Walmart, looks "ok", there is an inch gap where end do not meet. The one on the picture above looks great.

Hey man:

I just did this and did a write-up on it:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375033&highlight=Steering+wheel+fail

It looks great compared to the nasty peeling look which mine had too. I had to do it twice, but if you take my reccomendations, you'll get it the first time, easy money! Hope it helps you out!!

I had one of the cheap Walmart covers on there, and it never looked good. Looked like a cheap Walmart cover......

Thanks for the information guys!

Back