• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Controls Melted

jsampsell

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
My wife's 96 Explorer's steering wheel controls have melted. Over the past three years they have just gotten worse. In the summer she has to be really careful not to ruin any more clothes because the rubber/plastic/whatever it really is gets on her hands.

Most people that I tell this to say it is impossible so I've put some pictures below.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how did you fix it? And where did you get the replacement parts? I don't really have any junk yards close by to go searching so I'm left with online options at the moment.

I'd really like to get this fixed before it gets too hot again here in Atlanta.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow I have never seen that!

You say it is just from the interior heat from the summer sun? I was thinking it could possibly be a chemical burn as well but the coverage is very comprehensive...

I am interested in the replacement procedure as well. The bracket/brace(?) on one side of my controls has broken. I have to pinch the button instead of pushing.

I know, it is such a huge burden in my life... <sarcasm font<

Double thinking this, if the parts are still gooey, that does sound more like a chemical burn/melt. I would imagine if it was heated to the point of melting that when it cooled it would be solid again? But I don't claim to have seen everything in this world...

Mikeeee

go to the junkyard , get a set off another Explorer, cheap, easy , and you know they will be the right parts,

Whoa, I have never ever seen anything like that either. Have u been offroading on Venus??

Mine has done the same. both sides covering over the buttons is gone. I thought maybe a large ****roach that lived in there for over a year eat it off. Mine also sits in the sun so maybe it was the heat or sweat/chemicals on my hands.

2000XLT 5.0l 192k mi

Mine did the same thing. I assumed the lights under got too hot. Looks pathetic but controls still work

I had the same problem with mine; it was heat related. Very hard to find in JY, as working/unbroken ones are among the first parts to go. A couple of the guys on here have them; got mine from "Joe Dirt" and have also bought parts from "kbabiak." They are also available, but much more expensive, from dealer. Pretty easy to swap out once you get some. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Although I don't remember any offroading on Venus, it is my wife's car and they say women are from Venus so.... I'll check the links provided and hopefully get some ordered. More than anything, I'm thankful to know that I'm not the only one that has had this "impossible" thing happen to. :)

I had the same problem with mine; it was heat related. Very hard to find in JY, as working/unbroken ones are among the first parts to go. A couple of the guys on here have them; got mine from "Joe Dirt" and have also bought parts from "kbabiak." They are also available, but much more expensive, from dealer. Pretty easy to swap out once you get some. Good luck.

How are they changed????

How are they changed????

Take the airbag cover off your steering wheel by removing the screws from the back that hold it on, and then remove the screws holding the buttons in.

This is very cool, I thought it was just mine that where "melting off". I figured it was discontinued(like many things are). Mine are almost down to the yellowish plastic underneath. Thanks for the links.

Mine melted as well. I would swear that one time years ago I did feel a lot of heat on the controls. I though I was crazy - but the buttons were very warm. Never happened since. I need to replace the buttons if I sell it.

Mine are gone also 96. Got up today to search for some and seen this post, lol

Back