• Register Today It's free!

STEREO GURUS...I NEED YOUR HELP

baehan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4WD
i need help building a system. here are my options. please feel free to suggest other products if you have had the opportunity to compare between the products listed and the one that you recommend. if the item is worth spending the extra money, i'm more than willing to spend it. help me keep this system "within reason". after all, i don't want to spend more money on the system than on the X. i'm looking to spend around $1500 or less. the prices listed are the prices that i'm able to get them for from my buddy. if you know where i can get them cheaper, thanks (please list the website or resource). thanks for your help guys.

head unit
Kenwood PS-907 (i have sitting in my room)
8V preout etc, etc, etc

front components (6.5in)
-Boston Acoustics System 6.5 ($329)
-Polk Audio dX3065 6-1/2" Component System ($189)
-MB Quart DSD 216 6.5" component set ($149)
-MB Quart RSC216 6.5" Component System ($179)

rear speakers (5x7)
whatever to match the front

amp for the interior speakers (4ch/approx300-400W)
-JL Audio 300/4 ($359)
-Alpine MRV-F407 ($319)

amp for subs
-MTX 500D (i have sitting in my room)
-JL Audio 500/1 ($389)

subs (10's or 12's)
-JL
-MTX

i have lightning audio wires/caps/etc
i have dynomat for all panels
i have v-block for outer shell

anything else i'm missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i forgot to also mention that i listen to just about everything, with an emphasis on rock, techno, classical. i think i'm pretty much set on getting titanium tweeters, unless someone can show me otherwise. clarity is a must.

looks pretty killer to me, but i like my system all mostly one brand :] ...so go with alpine when you can ;)

Yeah, I don't know if it really matters but I would try to stick to one brand of components. I thought I heard one time that all components should be the same because they are designed to work together? Does that make sense.

Man, $1500.00 is a lot of money to spend on a stereo system. If I had that much money I'd lift mine and put new tires and wheels.

Good luck though.

Brian

hey man, I have tried MTX, and the 8000's- their best sq sub rattles when you turn it way up. If you want a really wicked sub get a kickerr L7. 1 15 inch L7 is comparable to 2 12 inch Rockfords. If you Already have a sub amp why another? if you do decide to go with the L7 get another amp- 1000 watts RMS. www.kicker.com

Don't double post!

Double posting get confusing... try not to do that.
I merged the 2 threads.

BTW. I have kicker, and love it! Would recommend them to anyone

Also, from what I understand, JL makes a Killer Sub! 1 JL 12W7 is all you need. I have have a friend that works in a stero shop and he blew a window out of a Liberty with the W7

I dissagree,

going with strictly one brand is ok if thats what you want.

but not at all necessary.

go with what you know, or what you've heard that has the best sound.

make all the bang for yoru buck.

some subs are alot better than others, so don't go with mtx subs just because you have an mtx amp. look around find out what has the best specs for your application, go listen to them at local shops.....read reviews......

don't go with just one brand, because some companys are better at making certain items than others are

i know my friends alpine cd player eats holes in burned cds like nothing eles. and that there is going to keep me from ever buying an alpine cd player.

Of you choices I would go with the Quart RSC's. But I suggest the Alpine Type R components, they sound really good and are only 160 on ebay. Also if you are going for SQ which by the looks of it you are...I would go with round speakers in the back. But they are in the back and you can't hear them as well so it really doesn't matter. Of the 2 4 channels go with the JL. On ebay RF Punch 300x's go for $200 bucks...just a little tid bit. Of those 2 amps for subs.... go with the MTX. And for subs...I would say get a pair of JL w3's.

for the subs what are you willing to spend. I personally wouldnt look into the mtx, ive done that and moved on. See what you are willing to spend, and give me the specs of your amp. Chris

impulsebrklyn...i got this off of MTX's website

MTX Thunder 500D Amplifier

-----------------------------------------------------------------
RMS Power measured at 12.5 Volts DC:
250 Watts x 1 into a 4 Ohm load with less than 0.5% Thd+N
500 Watts x 1 into a 2 Ohm load with less than 1% Thd+N

Dynamic Power (IHF-202 Standard) measured at 14.4 Volts DC
450 Watts x 1 into a 4 Ohm load
775 Watts x 1 into a 2 Ohm load

Signal to Noise Ratio:
100dB A-Weighted

Damping Factor:
>200

Frequency Response:
20Hz-200Hz

Maximum Input:
8Vrms

Thunder EQ:
Variable Bass Boost (0-18dB) centered at 40Hz
EBC External Bass Control

Crossover:
Variable 40Hz to 200Hz, 24dB/octave low pass

Dimensions:
9” x 9” x 2” (22.8cm x 22.8cm x 5cm)
10-1/4” x 9” x 2” (26cm x 22.8cm x 5 cm) Including IsoFeet™

Beastb15...i had the alpine type r's before and i didn't like the fact that they couldn't get the high's as well as i would have wanted them to. the alpine's come with a soft dome tweeter, the mb quart come with titanium tweeters. i'm leaning towards the mb quart rsc's also. i agree with how round speakers for the rear would be best, but the 5x7's will just pop right in. i'm not big on rockford, but from what i've researched, i also think that the jl amps will be best for me. as for subs, i also had the same ones in mind...the jl w3's d4. thanks for your comments.

my bad...in the paragraphs above, i meant mb quart RSD-216, not rsc-216.

I love SQ

My best piece of advice is to put the money you were planning to spend on after-market speakers in the rear into an even better set for the front! Run the rear speakers off the head unit. I've got two way components and an extra set of mid-bass up fron in my Sport, and the rear is some oval coax Boston Acoustics that I can never tell if they are on! Check out Quart's A series. They are expensive, but you can;t really get any better from MB Quart. $450 on Ebay.
The JL W7s are amazing. You will only need one. Get a big amp to feed it, too. (ie JL 500/1...it has an awesome low pass filter built in!)
Just my advice.......
And install it yourself!
Karl

Re: I love SQ

Originally posted by karl_burns
[BThey are expensive, but you can;t really get any better from MB Quart. $450 on Ebay.
The JL W7s are amazing. You will only need one. Get a big amp to feed it, too. (ie JL 500/1...it has an awesome low pass filter built in!)
Just my advice.......
And install it yourself!
Karl [/B]

You can definitely get better than Quarts....Focal IMO, a/d/s...

I will agree

You can get better than MB Quart. If you are sold on MB, the best ones are the Q series. The MB Quart will have more bass in their components than the Focal, but the Focal will have better mid-bass response. More bass, MB. Better midbass and smooth highs, get the Focal. I've got Utopia's, but they are probably more than you're lookign for. Get the Focal 165K2 three way components. Ebay they run about $350 I think. You'll have an amazing setup with those. Rounded out with a 10W7,a nd you're on your way to unbelieveable SQ. If that's what you're looking for.
It will take some modification to fit three seaprate speakers on each side of your front row though.........
Good luck!
Karl

For 1 sub with that power look into a single kicker l7 or l5. Most likely a l5 with that power but it depends on the size you want. make sure you get the dual 4 so you can get a 2 ohm load.( i think) I would port it if you have the room. You could also look into maybe an eclipse aluminum. If i think of anything else ill post it.

I agree on the negative comments on the Alpine type R speakers. I am trying to return my 6.5" coaxials (SPR-174A). I'll spare you all the details (do a search for SPR-174A if you are interested in the details). They just sound very muffled, and produce a very "muddy" sound.

Back