Time to upgrade. Need your help & Advice... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time to upgrade. Need your help & Advice...

Rydogg

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer
Wow, I haven't posted here in a long time, but stumbled back with some questions.

Background Info:
1995 Ford Explorer - 2 door
I have replaced the stock head unit with a Pioneer head unit.
I have an MTX SUB & AMP in the back of the car.

My questions are about purchasing new speakers, since 3 of the 4 are blown. But the car is almost 10 years old, and they are factory speakers, so what can I expect?

1. I know that I need 6x8 speakers - what brand do you recommend?
2. When I get new speakers should I install bass blockers?
3. Will I need a new amp for these speakers?
4. Should I look for 2way or 3way speakers?

I was recommended Alpine SPS-570A 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way Speakers on crutchfield.com for about $220. I listen to mostly rock music, and I want a LOUD/CRISP sound, I am not too worried about big bass for ghetto music...

Thanks for any help, suggestions, or personal recommendations. I have just had a bad experience in the past with my old car and new speakers, so I am a little hesitant this time around...

RYAN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i would say get some 5x7 infinities, or you could get 6x8 infinity components, preferibly the 5x7 coaxles.

i would recomend MB Quarts but i didnt like how their 5x7's sounded, it could just be the fact that the car had leather interior.

well if you dont like how they sound without an amp then i would recomend an amp...

Here's what I plan to do. I love my Audio Control 3XS crossover. Get a 4 channel amp, the crossover, and 4 ROUND speakers for the stock locations. The crossover has 4 RCA inputs and 6 RCA outputs. The 6 outputs are for the new 4 channel and your existing 1 or 2 channel SUB amp. You will be able to fade with your HU and you can turn the bass up or down with the 3XS.

Round speakers generally sound better than oval. I'd get a pair of component sets, 6 1/2's and tweeters for the front, and matching 6 1/2's for rear fill. You don't really want/need high frequencies in the rear fill for stereo. The 6 1/2's will fit if you cut the door a little. I like to use hard board to make my own 'gasket'. Put the tweeters near the floor firing up, that way they are closer to equal distance from your ears in either the driver or passanger seat.

Alpine, Infinity, MB Quart, they all should sound good. It's really a personal preference on what you think sounds better.

All I can say is when I added the 3XS to my old system, it was the best $200 I spent on audio equipment, period. The crossover is the brain of the whole system.

Thanks, I appreciate all of the suggestions, and I welcome anybody else to comment as well...

RYAN

I'm extremely happy with my ma audio hard kore 6x8 coaxials, great sound, and the first 6x8 I ever owned to get descent midbass from....!

I have got the Poineers in my Ex and I am well pleased.
There IS better, but for the dollar these can't be beat.
Nice full sound when used with a sub.
Add some tweets and all the more better.

Back