• Register Today It's free!

Stereo wiring harness

spartanmaga

Reaction score
City, State
charlton, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I have a 2003 explorer xlt. I am replacing the factory premium stereo system (AM/FM/CD/Cassette) with a new SONY system.

The issue I have is that the original stereo has two wire harnesses that plug into it. one is a wide rectangular shape and the other is more of a square shape with only two wires going to it.

All of the wiring harnesses I have seen matchup with the long recangular harness, but not with the small square harness. Does anyone know what the 2 wires in that second harness go to?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 2003 explorer premium sound system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If i remember correctly you sould have the controls for the rear seat?? if so that is what the other harness is for. you do not need it. those controls are obsolete when using an aftermarket radio

You'll also need a harness to bypass the factory amp, you won't need it anymore.

Thank you all for the information. Do you know where I can get a harness to bypass the amp?

Thanks for the information! Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Explorer harnesses?

Hi everyone I just joined this great place and I need HELPPPPPP.. My dumb friend was putting a sony radio in my 01 ford explorer sport, he said he knew what he was doing. Well guess he didn't and he cut all my wires from the factory harness all the way to the clip so that there is NO WAY it can EVER be put back on. Can anyone help???? It also now has the anti theft light on and it will not start. PLease anyone know what I can do to get it wired right agin??????????????????????????????????:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Hi everyone I just joined this great place and I need HELPPPPPP.. My dumb friend was putting a sony radio in my 01 ford explorer sport, he said he knew what he was doing. Well guess he didn't and he cut all my wires from the factory harness all the way to the clip so that there is NO WAY it can EVER be put back on. Can anyone help???? It also now has the anti theft light on and it will not start. PLease anyone know what I can do to get it wired right agin??????????????????????????????????:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

This is probably way too late... Have a REAL electrician re-wire it and bill it to your friend. You could also take him to court.... Thats just about as dumb as dumb gets

Back