Sticky Pedal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sticky Pedal

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Seems like the throttle cable is sticking when I apply pressure to the pedal starting off from a stop. As I apply pressure with my foot, the pedal momentarily holds and then breaks free allowing normal application of the accelerator. It's not like the car is out of control, but it is annoying.

I've lubed the linkage and hinges from the driver's position inside, and also the throttle linkage under the hood.

I'd like to lube the entire throttle cable, but see no way to get at the cable inside the sheath. ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good news! This is one of thousands of Ford Explorer's recalls. Just bring it back to any Ford Dealership and you're good to go.:)

Thats good to know, now I can get my sticky pedal fixed. Do I have to tell them any recall number or should they know.

They should know. Basically they would just look at your VIN number and see if there are any open recalls for your truck.

Ummm... do you still have Firestone Tires on your truck? For some reason you don't know, that is the Mother of all Recalls.:D

Originally posted by X-factor
Ummm... do you still have Firestone Tires on your truck? For some reason you don't know, that is the Mother of all Recalls.:D

LOL, mine actually came stock with goodyears:D

Hey keep us posted w/ this because I have the same problem. Glad to know im not alone! :eek:

What year is the X? I wouldn't put much confidence in it being fixed under recall. The throttle cable used to stick on my '96. I just pulled the cable off the TB and threw some grease on it while squirting some oil on the linkage. Been fine since.

Is there any difficulty in pulling the throttle cable? Even if there's a recall, it's a major PITA to take it in.

i have the same problem with my 99 XLT. just too lazy to do anything about it lol.

Originally posted by X-factor
They should know. Basically they would just look at your VIN number and see if there are any open recalls for your truck.

Interesting you should bring that up. I saw a Corvette earlier with Firestone Firehawk (?) tires and the entire tread had blown off of the tire. It looked like somebody had taken a knife and cut the tread off. It was a brand new C5 Corvette, and the Firestoned tire just blew up and the tread seperated. Sound familiar doesn't it? It's not just Explorers with this problem.

Can we please stop the Explorer bashing? It's getting old. There are forums for Toyotas and Hondas so you guys can go there.

The recall for sticking throttle bodies was for the '97 & '98 4.0L SOHC only. Your 5.0L supposedly doesn't have an issue with sticking throttles so it isn't under recall. The fix is to replace the throttle body.

The 5 or 6 different 5.0 X's I've driven all have had the same problem with a sticky pedal (including mine). I haven't tried much to solve the problem, and the dealer says that he can't get the pedal to stick :rolleyes: The problem is only occasional, mostly after I drive aggresively, then take my foot off the gas. The next time I try to press it, it sticks for a second until I restart the car. EVERY time I restart the car after having a sticky pedal, it fixes itself until I drive aggressively again. (I dunno if that will help in diagnosis).

Back