still have egr codes and a code 214 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

still have egr codes and a code 214

mechjames

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
after cleaning the DPFE, and the EGR solenoid, and verifying vaccum to the egr valve, i still have the same codes, plus a code 214.

OFF:
335 - EGR feedback signal is/was out of range - EVR or PFE
539 - System shows voltage at PCM pin 10 Is A/C on ?

214 - Cylinder Identification Circuit Failure
332 - Insufficient EGR Flow Detected
337 - EGR Valve Position/Pressure Feedback EGR Circuit Above Maximum Voltage

RUNNING:
116 - Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range
326 - Pressure Feedback EGR shows low pressure EGR not seating or not seating intermittently
536 - Brake On Off open or shorted to ground

now i forgot to let it warm up, so thats why the code 116 showed up (only let it warm up 3 min) and i forgot to give it the brake after the engine identification, and the 539 (defrost was on)

so i've bolded the important codes. same ones keep showing up. what should i tackle first?

SOP with EEc-IV is to resolve KOEO hard fault codes first (Those are the first ones output during the KOEO test: the 335 and 539). So the first one I'd deal with is the KOEO 335.

Because KOEO codes are set with the engine off, they almost always have to be electrical in nature. In this case, the fault will be in the DPFE sensor circuit: either the sensor itself, the wiring between the sensor and the PCM, or the internal wiring in the PCM.

Resolving the KOEO 335 should also resolve the KOER and CM EGR codes as well, which should then leave you with the CM 214 to resolve.

alright, i'll try chaing the DPFE sensor.

what does the code 214 mean? camshaft sensor? wouldn't the truck not run if that was at fault?

From Mitchell repair manual for a '95 Explorer (which should be very similar to your '94)
Mitchell said:
CIRCUIT TEST DR - CYLINDER IDENTIFICATION (CID) CIRCUIT
Diagnostic Aids
CID signal provides PCM information for fuel injector synchronization. The CID signal is generated from Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor. Enter this CIRCUIT TEST only when instructed during QUICK TEST. This test is only intended to diagnose:
* CID +, CID -, CID, SIG RTN and VREF wiring harness circuits.
* Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor.
* Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
1) Continuous Memory Code 214
Code 214 indicates error has been detected in CID sensor input signal. Error could be due to a hard fault or an intermittent fault. Possible causes for this fault are:
* Open or shorted wiring harness.
* Faulty CMP sensor.
* Faulty ICM.
* Faulty PCM.

So, in your case, the CID appears to be about fuel injector synchronization and not so much about whether or not to fire the injectors.

Back