Still have trans Problems after VB Rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still have trans Problems after VB Rebuild

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
[Mod note.. this was being added to the end of the 5R55E Valve Body rebuild diary, and I thought it needed its own thread. After a VB rebuid, problems sill exist in this case... and he has some other codes presenting themselves.... SoI start this new thread to discuss this.. it was getting a little far afield for the 5R55E VB Rebuild thread. He was experiencing overheating and other similar problems after his VB reuild]

Post 1:

I have not checked the temperature when it was overheating. I did not have my thermometer gun. How and where on the transmission do I do a pressure check? As far as a gauge do I use the same one used for compression checks on engines or is it a special one? I know overheating kills a tranny, that is why I'm not using the truck anymore Im driving my backup car now. About the solenoids, I will replace all of them, besides the epc because I already did that one. Thanks for your input Brooklyn. What about the code that I bring up with the obd II reader? Its P1401aux emissions control. Thanks again

Post 2:

Thanks guys, first thing i'm going to do is change the dpfe sensor, check my tranny cooler to see if it is clogged. How can I bypass the thermostat that my tranny has that does not let fluid flow when cold? The reason I ask this is because today I tried to drive my x when it was cold and it felt like I was towing a damn house. But I let it warm up for a few minutes and it shifted fine. I read in this forum that the superior shift kit has something to bypass this, but the if I remember correctly the transgo kit I installed did not address this problem. If I'm going to drop the pan again I will change all of the solenoids along with doing the bypass for the thermosistor or thermostat. Okay i just read about the (transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor) can I eliminate this so fluid is always flowing in my tranny even when cold? Does anyone have a pic of what it actually looks like? Has anyone eliminated this completely? Thanks

I read in this forum that the superior shift kit has something to bypass this, but the if I remember correctly the transgo kit I installed did not address this problem. If I'm going to drop the pan again I will change all of the solenoids along with doing the bypass for the thermosistor or thermostat. Okay i just read about the (transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor) can I eliminate this so fluid is always flowing in my tranny even when cold? Does anyone have a pic of what it actually looks like? Has anyone eliminated this completely?
I did install the Superior thermo blocker in mine about a year ago, and couldn't tell any difference in cold weather operation. It was included in the kit, and I had the VB apart, so I installed it to prevent later problems. Apparently there are potential problems, or Superior wouldn't have bothered with it. The blocker itself is a spool that is inserted in the thermo bore, and allows ATF flow to the cooler regardless of the thermostat position.
The Superior kit is the only source for the blocker, as far as I know.

I doubt if eliminating the TFT would do any good; since the thermostat itself would still be operational.

ROE

Back