Tranmission Leak After VB Rebuild

Windowlicker

Reaction score
City, State
SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4WD
1998 4.0 SOHC Exp 4X4

So I'd been having issues with the shifting after I bought this explorer several months back. I finally got around to ordering the Ford TSB, new solenoids, VB seperator plate with gaskets, Superior shift kit, and new filter with seal.
After putting everything back together and taking the truck for a drive, everything ran great and my problem was fixed until the next morning when I tried to go to work and I could barely get it in gear. Long story short, I lost a lot of ATF somewhere. After taking another look at it, it looked as if I neglected to tighten two bolts on the trans pan that were hiding above the catalytic converter.

I took the pan off again and replaced it with another brand new gasket (the big chain garage in town wanted me to pay $250+ for this) and made sure I tightened all 18 bolts to 10 ft/lbs and filled her up again. I let it idle and now there is smoke coming off the cat. I let it idle for a while and looked under the car and saw ATF dripping off the cat. The cat. would smoke and then drip. So naturally I got under the truck and looked at the gasket and everywhere else for that matter and still can't find where, if anywhere, this leak is coming from.

OBSERVATION: There is ATF dripping off the under side of the cat. but I can't find anything dripping ON TO the cat itself nor any fluid running to it. Trans pan doesn't appear to be leaking, dip stick tube looks dry, and I can't find any verifiable source for this leak.

When I originally filled the tranny with ATF, I over shot and tried to dump 8 qts in there. It over flowed out of the dip stick tube and went everywhere. Is it possible that I've soaked the catalytic converter in ATF and it's just taking a while to burn off? My first guess was a leak but I can't find one just yet. And it looks like the only time it's dripping is when the cats heat up and start smoking. Could the dripping really just be condensation from the cat steaming up the spilled ATF?

Any suggestions would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It definitely takes awhile to burn off the atf so I would drive it for a day or two and recheck it.

Make sure your vent tube is working properly. There can be problems if it plugged by a mud dauber or the like.

Trying to burn it off is about the only option I guess I have at the moment as the smoke looks like it's coming out of the vents in the underside of the cat instead of just off the metal shell. You think my cat. needs to be replaced? I'm not throwing any codes so I can only assume it's not affecting anything yet. I just wish it didn't smoke so bad cause I hate being that guy with the busted POS driving around making everyone else think that THEIR car is the one that's burning fluid.

Probably got ATF in the Cat's heat shield. If it really bothers you, take it to a hand wash place. Let it cool then soak that cat with grease remover. After it sits a couple minutes hit it with the high pressure soap and then rinse. May still get a little smoking or ooze afterwards but most of the ATF should be gone.

Back