stock explorer with no o2 sensors?!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stock explorer with no o2 sensors?!!

ahmos

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I have a 98 explorer and it has no o2 sensors , and checked them with scanner and it read them as o2 sensors bank1 and bank2 ( OFF ) , read errors ( NO ),
this car was for Egypt so I think it was the specification here that time ..... but
the car uses too much fuel , i replaced injectors and MAF sensor etc but no luck
i'm using fuel 92 octane and 90 litres makes me run for 400 km highway
i bought new o2 sensors and installed them myself and connected the wires as it should be but the same problem , the scanner reads them as off
i checked the fuse and it's ok
so what's the problem and how to make the car reads those sensors or should i remove them again?!!
thanks

It sounds like the O2's may be turned off inside of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
This can be done with a aftermarket tune.

is it easy to be done? can i do it myself?
is it worth to make o2 sensors work?

disconnect one

To determine if the PCM expects your O2 sensors to function disconnect the connector to the one that is easiest to access. Start the engine and read the diagnostic trouble codes. If you get "02 Sensor Circuit Malfunction" or "02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction" for the bank that's disconnected then your PCM is expecting the O2 sensors to function. If you don't get any diagnostic trouble codes then the O2 sensors have been disabled in the tune that is loaded into your PCM. Without the O2 sensors your PCM will always be in open loop and the air/fuel ratio will be determined by data in stored tables. To improve fuel economy and reduce emissions the PCM must be in closed loop using the O2 sensors. Unless you have a PCM programmer you will have to have your PCM reprogrammed to enable the O2 sensors if they have been disabled. Any Ford dealer should have that capability if it is standard in your country.

Back