Stock Radio Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock Radio Question

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport 90k, 94 Xlt 157k
Hey everyone my stock radio is stuck on Am radio, the button to switch it back and forth from Am and Fm doesnt seem to be working, and the #1 preset doesnt work as well, all of the other buttons work... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks guys (thumbsup)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be broken buttons from a lot of use over time. your best bet is to say goodbye to it and invest in a after market radio if u love music as much as i do. you can easy buy a harness that connects into your stock plugs all you got to do is wire up to the new aftermarket radio wires and connect and go.

I had the same issue with the stock radio, easy fix. The contacts for the buttons get old and gunked up. You'll need to take off the faceplate and clean the contacts, both the rubber button part and the part on the circuit board.

Someone still uses a stock radio in these first gens and enjoys it?

;-)

smashed-radiojpegpagespeedicuTgftXY3F2_zpseaa3298e.jpg

You can find stock replacements in junk yards & Ebay. Rangers also work. But for the cost you can buy a new CD HU.

Does anybody no where i can purchase a stock radio for my 1999 Ford Explorer eddie bauer. i wanna down grade from my aftermarket radio to a stock radio because i want to use my stock cd changer. Does anybody no where I can get one online for cheap because ebay is pretty pricey for a old radio.

Does anybody no where i can purchase a stock radio for my 1999 Ford Explorer eddie bauer. i wanna down grade from my aftermarket radio to a stock radio because i want to use my stock cd changer. Does anybody no where I can get one online for cheap because ebay is pretty pricey for a old radio.

I know that Craigslist might be another a good place to look, or at a junkyard such as Pick-N-Pull. Now you know a couple more places to try looking. If there is no damage to your stock wiring harness, then you know that a stock radio should plug in and work fine. :D

I know that Craigslist might be another a good place to look, or at a junkyard such as Pick-N-Pull. Now you know a couple places to start looking. If there is no damage to your stock wiring harness, then you know that a stock radio should plug in and work fine. :D

Subtle ;)

Maybe find an older deck that has auxiliary CD changer port?

I have a 95' Eclipse deck that has a remote CD control port.

Pawn shop is where I found it. Just a thought. Better deck than stock for sure.

Stop by an audio shop and pick their brain.

I cleaned the contacts on the board as well as the buttons, but it still doenst work

Time for a replacement, and at the same time an upgrade!

Many older top dollar (in their day) CD Decks that can be found on your local craigslist for not a lot of money, I would go with an older Panasonic, Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion if possible. They can be found for 50 bucks most days and sound MUCH better than any 100-120 dollar bottom of the barrel CD Deck from your local Walmart/Bestbuy. Get your harness online or do it the old fashioned way (cut and test the wires individually). Either way you'll be good to go with MUCH better sound and control of your audio.

Back