stock speaker sizes in 91 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stock speaker sizes in 91 XLT?

fourboys

Reaction score
just bought a 91 XLT and wanted to no what size of speakers it comes stock with and what sizes will fit in them? any help would be appreciated. thanks email me or post here thanks fourboys@mt.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4 doors have 5x7's (6x8's) in the doors. I dont' think the 91 XLT came with the premium sound system (the one with the subwoofer in the back right and a seperate amp).

5x7 or 6x8's coaxial speakers or plates will fit. Keep in mind that if you change your head unit that you will need the kit (don't really need.. it just make it easiser). This is a plug that goes on the back of the head unit to plug it into the harness and a plug for the amp bypass (this is assuming you have the amp.. I believe all of the Explorers with the toggle volume knob had it). If you have the amp it is on the right side of the cargo area behind the panel (right above the tire).

Mark

the four doors do have 5x7's, or 6x8's, both fit the perfectly. If you have the rear sub it is a 6.5inch, if you're wondering. About bypassing the amp. I have a Pioneer CD player installed and when I bypassed the amp(manually, not with the harness) the sound was much softer and when I turned the volume up the head unit seemed to stuggle, especially bass hits. If you don't bypass the amp you will still benifit from the rear sub(if present) and your speakers will be louder and your headunit won't work as hard. This is only to a certain point, which is fairly loud, after that the amp produces distortion because the incoming signal from the headunit is too strong.

thanks guys just got the explorer yesterday not much time to check all of it out yet but it does have aftermarket cd head unit already in it im going to have to check what speakers are in it also what is the best sub for the explorer i dont want a big box sitting in the back because i have fourboys and a dog so need all the space i can get. thanks again for your replys! DANA (FOURBOYS)

The easiest way to put a sub in there is to get a MTX thunderform or a JL Stealthbox (Rockford Fosgate makes on also). These are enclosures for a 10" sub that fits in the back right cargo area (in the pocket). You can even get a thunderform with the amp already in it.

Here is what it looks like.. (with the grill cover off). We have a Diamond were running a Diamond Audio Tech 10" sub in the box (which is .65 cu ft). We now have the MTX sub back in there. We didn't have enough power to properly use the DAT (we kept blowing the speaker).. The MTX works very well in the box (and it is an old 3000 series)..

sDAT-10-mtx-stealth-formB010.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the cover on (It looks stock)..
sclosed12B4.jpg

hi thanks maniak how much do those cost? also do they produce some good bass? i just want a good clean sounding system with some good bass but not to much! thanks again fourboys

Back