Strange heating/rad symptoms. Similar to head gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange heating/rad symptoms. Similar to head gasket

Jake709

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 2007, XLT, 4.0 Litre V6, 4x4, 90,000km.

My temp gauge was acting unusual. I would go from Cold (just after starting driving) right up to Hot, the Temp Warning Light would come on, it would last for about 6 (six) seconds or so and then go to normal temperature range.

I replaced: Thermostat, coolant temperature sensor.

After doing this, the problem continued.

I then: Burped the RAD with a spill free funnel. Fans were turned off during.

After about 45 minutes and a bunch of *large* air bubbles came out, there was a constant flow of bubbles. Every two to three (2 - 3) seconds a bubble the size of a pea would rise to the top of the spill free filter. When I saw this happening I allowed the burp to continue for another 45 minutes. No change, bubbles kept coming.

I suspected a Cylinder head issue. Gasket, warp or crack. She is idling roughly after start. No coolant in oil. No mass amount of white smoke, just standard fumes. Does not seem to smell off burned coolant.

I bought Rislone Head Gasket repair. I applied it as directed, heat and fans on max, idle for 15 minutes.

After the 15 minutes, I got in to turn off the Truck and noticed the air was COLD, despite being on HOT and running for 15 minutes.

I haven't done anything else yet.

I am desperate folks. I just put two transmissions, two drives shafts (carrier bearings exploded), Electronic fuel control module, A/C computer chip, Thermostat housing, Electronic Shift Position sensor, 3 wheel bearings, and 2 front axle seals on this truck. Please note I bought the truck at 40,000km and it now has 90,000km.

That's a lot of parts you've thrown at that thing. Sounds like either a blown head gasket or a cracked head. 45 minutes of constant bubbling isn't a good sign. And it now sounds like your water isn't circulating thru the heater core. That could be the heater hose valve.

Back