Strange OBD II codes on 1997 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange OBD II codes on 1997 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD...

Andy94SC

Reaction score
City, State
Fenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
I've had a Check Engine Light bugging me for quite a while now. I have found that it stays on if I am doing shorter trips, like my 20 minute drive to work. But if I drive for about an hour continuously the CEL will go out.

Today I decided to replace the cracked passenger exhaust manifold, and while I was at the parts store I had the codes read.

This is what I got, and I have found some of them, but am lost on the others;

P1033
P0401 (EGR Insufficient flow detected)
P0000
P00C0
P0220 (TPS Malfunction)
P0801 (Reverse Inhibit Control Malfunction)

I don't know a whole lot of history on the vehicle, but it does have 145,000 miles. I bought it over the summer and have been working on getting it into shape as a Winter vehicle. It has been doing quite well, and I have not noticed any real driveability problems, but I wanted to get the CEL shut off.

After clearing the codes the CEL was out for the 45 minute drive home. But after swapping the manifold and going for a 5 minute test drive it came back on.

I'm guessing the EGR may be partially plugged, and causing the light, but any ideas on the other codes above? Especially the P00C0, I have not seen a letter in a code before...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only code you got that is listed in my 97 PCED (Powertrain Control and Emission Diagnostic) is the P0401. None of the others are listed for 97.

I don't think that P0000 or P00C0 are valid in any case. Maybe a scan tool error?

It could be a scan tool problem I guess. It is the personal one my buddy who works there keeps plugged into his Crown Vic.

I remember we checked codes when I first got it and there were only a couple, the P0401 was one. I was suprised to see 6 codes today, after fixing a lot of stuff...

I'll check the codes again to see what is there now.

The P0401 code is often caused by a bad DPFE sensor.

See:

Dead Link Removed

and

Dead Link Removed

Just FYI, there is another thread going on with this..97 ex computers have issues with OBD codes and parameters.

P0000 is an OBDII code telling you the ECM has not completed a drive cycle test. This will clear itself once all other repairs are made and codes are cleared, and it can then complete the drive cycle test to determine all is well.

EDIT: It is not causing any drivability issues. The only time this code has any real significance is when you go to have the emissions tested. It won't pass with that code as all tests haven't been completed. It can take hours to clear on it's own, or it can take days. All parameters of the test must be met.

P0000 is an OBDII code telling you the ECM has not completed a drive cycle test. This will clear itself once all other repairs are made and codes are cleared, and it can then complete the drive cycle test to determine all is well.

EDIT: It is not causing any drivability issues. The only time this code has any real significance is when you go to have the emissions tested. It won't pass with that code as all tests haven't been completed. It can take hours to clear on it's own, or it can take days. All parameters of the test must be met.

I believe P1000 is that code you are thinking of (monitors not complete). P0000 kind of means "unspecified failure somewhere".

Back