1997 Eddie Bauer Center Console Remove? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Eddie Bauer Center Console Remove?

Benjamine J Denny

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'm trying to pull my dash back to get at my heater core, and it looks like the center console isn't going to let me. Does anybody have instructions or a link to instructions on how to remove on models that have the on-board fuel economy computer? I'd appreciate it very much - this job is starting to get a little long on me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd gen console removal

welcome to the forum. you can search for that, but with your being new, we cut the noobies some slack. there is also a thread on how to remove the dash as well. that one you can find with the search, and tons more on very useful stuff on explorers.

enjoy

after you remove all the screws you sit in the back seat grab the console and wiggle it side to side while pulling back. They can fiught you for hours, but if you do it this way (the wiggle) even the most stubborn ones will come loose right away
You can have the console out in about 10 minutes
You can have the whole dash out in about an hour if you are a seasoned veteran
The first time it can take a whole day just to remove the dash to get at the heater core

Before you remove the dash unless your heater core is leaking all over, you should try a back flush from the engine side of things
Heater core replacement at the dealer is over $1200
I charge $500 and we do it in one day and that price includes the new core

The heater core in the vehicle is bypassed, and I'm not sure why; I don't have the stuff to pressure test it, so I'm just swapping it. At this point, I think the center console is all that's keeping the dashboard from coming back at this point, so hopefully It will come loose. My main problem is finding instructions on getting the on-board computer section out; all the instructions I've been able to find here and elsewhere assume I have a different version that doesn't have the econ computer on the center console. I found a 5000 page shop manual online last night that just says I need to "remove" that section; I'm guessing I need to break out a screwdriver and go looking for clips at this point.

Thank you for the bit on the wiggle - will try.

The back end of the console base has two steel "hooks" that go forward into the floor bracket between the seats. You've got two bolts going straight down in the middle area of the floor, plus the two at the front, I don't recall what others there are.

The big console has a large electrical connector to separate at the front, under the display or cubby hole. Loosen that 10mm bolt out before fully removing the console.

ConsoleMount.JPG

For the record, 410 fortune's wiggle thing is GOLD. Now I have a stubborn AC quick disconnect and I'm in.

In my experience, 99% of the time when a heater core is bypassed it's because it was leaking, though considering how much work it is to remove the dash you might as well reconnect it, place some newspaper on the floor under the heater box/core and see if it's actually leaking. Note: It might leak coolant from the A/C condensation drain under the truck.

I'm now completely stuck again - I have the center console out, dashboard pulled forward, two or so bolts out of the top of the plenum just for kicks. I have all three exterior bolts and the interior bolt off the evaporator assembly, but the engine is close enough to the mount for the bottom left assembly bolthole that I can't get it out. Is this normal? The only thing I can think of is to loosen the motor mount on that side and jack up the engine. I'd get a bid on what it would take a mobile guy to pull that part, but I'm guessing the explanation part of it would be pretty impossible at this point.

you are talking about the lowest bolt on the HVAC box, engine side of things?

410 fortune's wiggle thing is GOLD

Thank you! We have dismantled enough Gen II explorers (crushed 20 of them in one summer) to know how to pull the console quickly even the stubborn ones!

Right, that bolt is stuck as hell. What I'm going to try before anything else is to get behind the hvac box, walk the plenum nut as far forward as I can, pull the plenum backwards and try to make room that way. If that doesn't work I might try to use snips to cut the plastic loop at the bottom so I can lift it off, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

to clarify: the bolt isn't stuck, there's just not enough room to get the hvac box forward enough to slide it off of it. Sorry, I'm exhausted from this.

For anybody reading this after the fact having the same problem, the solution to removing the evaporator body is as follows:

There's a nut holding the evaporator body on, and a nut holding the heater core plenum/airbox on inside the car. You can just barely work out the nut holding on the evaporator body, so do that, then move the mount/ear on that corner as far forward as you can, then walk the nut holding the heater core plenum on as far forwards towards the engine as you can. You can then pull back the heater core plenum to that nut, which makes room to get the evaporator body mount out.

Back