Street suspension for 97 Eddie Bauer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Street suspension for 97 Eddie Bauer?

Flight_951

Reaction score
City, State
Northern VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 1997 Explorer 4WD with the Eddie Bauer package with 16" wheels and self-leveling rear suspension... After 89k miles I'd like to refresh the whole suspension. I don't off-road the truck and I don't even tow with it, but I would like a more stable, less bouncy ride on the street. I'd also like the parts to feature simple bolt-on installation if possible (no heavy modifications from stock). I'd probably have to disable the self-leveling rear suspension somehow. Does anyone have any experience with setting up these Explorer suspensions for the street? What parts will I need and where to get them? Any potential problems I should be aware of? Thanks for any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

- Disable air ride by flipping the switch in the rear cargo area
- Replace air shocks with regular performance shocks
- Lower the truck 2"
- Explorer Express front and rear sway bars
- Larger wheels with performance tires

The Explorer Express swaybars will make a dramatic change. I have a 1998 with the larger front bar so I only needed the rear bar... but what a change! Combined with firmer shocks your Explorer will be fun to drive throught the corners.

Thanks for the info. I'll order the EE bars on Monday. I also see that Sears has the Rancho 5000 shocks, and Rancho is offering a rebate too. So I'll probably go that route. I've flipped the switch behind the access panel in the trunk to disable the self-leveling rear suspension. Now is there any way to avoid having the message center telling me the Air Ride is Off every time I start the truck?

BTW Oldboat, can you give me a little more info on the cat back exhaust, chip, and MAF/intake? Were they worth the $? I've decided to keep my truck instead of buying a new one but I'd like to make it a bit better.

Yes to all your questions. I can't give you performance figures but I can tell you that I can easily pull away from a stock 1998 SOHC 4.0 with a 4.10 rearend (my wife's) from any speed. I have walked away from a Minicooper S twice. Not a Cobra beater but definitely a good improvement in performance that you will really feel. I have a Apten chip on order to replace the Diablo and if EE ever gets the SOHC California supercharger certified I'll buy one. But even without the supercharger it's a whole lot of fun.

One more thing. No offense to you 5.0 Explorer people (They have tremendous potential of course, they can be build to be ferocious) but stock they can't even come close to staying with the 4.0 SOHC mildly modified as I have.

Back