• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer eddie bauer question

dandsphillips

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Hill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer V8 AWD
First off i wanted to say that i was new to the forum, and i like what everybody has to say. Ok my question is that i just traded my mustang for a 97 explorer eddie bauer. Its v8 and awd. So far i really like it. Except for that the rear suspension is sagging. Its about two inches lower than the front. And from what ive seen all eddie bauer explorers around my year have the same problem. It has the self leveling rear suspension, and also there is a switch on the dash thats for "Normal Ride" and "Off Road". Does that switch do anything except raise the suspension? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same sagging problem in my Explorer same year and model. That's why I'm searching the site. As for the switch on the dash and the self leveling shocks. I believe this is too adjust the ride firmness. The normal has a set air pressure for a normal road driving. The "Off Road" creates a more firm (truck like) ride. Monroe makes a re-placement shock that can still connect to the air lines. It will have to by pass the switch though. Dealer replacement cost $250.00 each Monroe cost is only $70.00 each. I chose to by pass the switch and save the money. Mike

I have 98 EB 5L. It was sagging about 2 inches at the back. I replaced the stock shocks at the back with Monroe load adjustable shock and it lifted the back of the truck about two inches. Very good price/performance. The part# is 58617.

I have 98 EB 5L. It was sagging about 2 inches at the back. I replaced the stock shocks at the back with Monroe load adjustable shock and it lifted the back of the truck about two inches. Very good price/performance. The part# is 58617.
I have a 00 EB 5l as well. I have the same problem, but i dont know if mine has the air ride system you guys are talking about. dcdyd Would those Monroe's work on mine? if it doesnt have the air ride?

Look up a tread titled "Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs". It is 9 pages long discussing in detail about this issue and resolutions. The first quarter of it is text book education all about rear springs. I just called Eaton Detroit Springs and new stock springs are $362.00 and modified are $40.00 more. I'll be pulling a travel trailer so my real only option is to change out the springs for load & safety reasons.

OOMTEDDIE, if you don't have the air ride system then those will work. If you have the air ride system, then it will have to be disconnected to use these. If your going to replace your shocks then remember to do all 4 wheels. In the long term it's not worth cutting corners when these type shocks aren't that much money.

I have a 00 EB 5l as well. I have the same problem, but i dont know if mine has the air ride system you guys are talking about. dcdyd Would those Monroe's work on mine? if it doesnt have the air ride?

Mine doesn't have air ride. It should work for your 00 EB if you turn off the air ride. But since I don't have air ride, I am not sure how ride experience can be compared. For me, it made huge improvement to the ride. I replaced all four stock shocks at 105K. I would have done this earlier if I have known this. For compatibility, go to Amazon.com and type in the part number. Then select your truck to see whether you can use it.

Back