streetglow questions for anyone who has them | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

streetglow questions for anyone who has them

im looking to get some lights for under my car as well as inside under dash. i have the $$ for the dash now so im looking at the LED from Streetglow. They have 2 diff types of LEDs though ones that come in a strip and ones that come in tubes. Which are better? I want LEDs that wont give off spot light but instead an even light like neons give off. Which ones of the 2 listed will provide this for me? also can i join the interior LEDs with the underbody LEDs once i get those to work at once with one switch? i will also want to join the inside and outside to work at the same time with the music interface once i get those. will i be able to hook both these up to work at once?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Watch which one you buy, there is one that is basically wire with phosphoresces coating; I would stick to the LEDs.

Joining the lights together can be done on one switch, based on total current draw of the light strips; LEDs will draw the least.
Connect all of the strips to '+' and '-' terminal strips and then power the '+' strip with a power from a switch.
The terminal strips need to be under the hood and kept dry, as much as possible.
maybe a fused power wire to the '+' strip and you could use a relay for convenience only but it will depend on the total current draw of the light strips.

Or, just solder all of the '+'s and the '-'s together and add a switch... do your home work first.

Luck,

Hey just my 2 cents but my last car a 97 eclipse had underglow lights and the draw that it took off the battery made me buy a bigger alternator and then after i did tht it sent to many amps through tiny on off switch wires. They cought on fire and shorted out and cought my electrical harness on fire and finnaly my lower dash cought on fire (all when i was dring on the highway at 65mph with my mom following me:eek:). Id recommend using none but hey its your electrical harness.

My last car was an 00 elantra and I managed to wire 5$ lights meant for computers for under the seats/dash to a switch and to the battery.

i used three sets of these for the whole interior of the car.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811994001

since the computer powersupply gives off 12v of power to these so did my car battery. just chop off the molex connector and wire it to a switch and battery.

spent maybe like 30$ for the whole setup, you can probably even recycle the switches that come with them. I didn't.

just my added input i have owned 5 sets of the street glow under body kits and have never had any problems with any of the lights or any of the under dash neon or led's. And for getting the same effect get the led's in the tube i really liked those going to be getting another set for the explorer after i get all the other addon's done.

I used to run a regular set of Streetglow Neons on my old S-10, I loved the look of it. It was my first modification I ever did to a car. If you have the money, I'd get the l.e.d. kit that allows you to run whatever color you want, and also 7 different modes. I plan on getting those one day for mine.

But overall the install on the S-10 was pretty easy, my main problem was I had to extend the wire leads off of the neon tubes and put in a stronger fuse. With the extra wire there was more resistance, but it worked fine for years, in fact the guy that has the truck now still runs them at night.

Back